1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Soldier's Story: powerful stuff

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JackS, Jan 4, 2007.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Pretty good insight from a person, don't forget, who's looking at this war through a VERY DIFFERENT lens.

2. Wheel Gunner

Wheel Gunner Member

The title of this thread made me remember this movie:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088146/

Which in turn makes me recall this quote:

"See, the Black race can't afford you no more. There used to be a time, we'd see someone like you singin', clownin', yassuh-bossin'... and we wouldn't do anything. Folks liked that. You were good. Homey kind of shit. When they needed somebody to mistreat, call a name or two, they paraded you. Reminded them of the good old days. Not no more. The day of the Bojangler Geechee is gone, boy. And you're going with it. "

;D

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I was especially taken by that, 3BF. The way his unique position doesn't allow him a black and white view of things.

The overall message, I think, was best presented by the fixer who said, "You are here until there are no terrorists, and there will be terrorists as long as you are here. So come sit and have some tea."

As I said, heartbreaking.

Draft saved Draft deleted