1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A small victory for print journalism

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sweetbreads bailey, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Unless he thinks he should get in the paper because it's hard work to cheer for a team.

2. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Well, anyone can post a picture on the internet, but how many people can put a picture in thousands of newspapers?

I think there is still a bit of added legitimacy to a story or photo that is printed in a newspaper, because of the proliferation of web stuff that everyone and his brother puts up on myspace or facebook or myblog or whatever.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

So kids haven't yet started to pretend to read their laptop screens when the other team is going through pregame introductions?

4. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I've said it before, how often does mom or dad print something off the net and stick it to the fridge? Or how often does a high school print an article off the net and stick it to a bulletin board? Not often.

But they always clip newspaper articles and pictures.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

No, I think that's very valid.

6. captzulu

captzulu Member

I think there is truth to the idea that something in a paper has more legitimacy than online. I think from a reader's standpoint, that comes more from the fact that readers have the power to post a photo on a web page on their own, but they don't have control over what goes into the paper. The fact that someone else decides that your photo is fit for inclusion in the paper is like an endorsement, a reaffirmation of what you're doing. Of course, if we are counting on that to save print, it'll be a losing battle. Perceptions of what's "legitimate" evolves, and if print isn't around or is no longer prevalent, people would find some other way to make scrapbooks and fridge decors. If they weren't willing to pay for a print edition, the possibility of seeing their photo in the paper once upon a blue moon won't change that.

Draft saved Draft deleted