1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A small victory for print journalism

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sweetbreads bailey, Feb 25, 2008.

1. So I'm at the high school basketball conference championship game in our area Friday night. The student section for the school I cover was pretty lively so I was snapping pictures of them cheering and chanting during the pregame. One of the kids looks at me and says, "Don't just put this picture on your Web site. Make sure it gets in the paper."

I nearly cried with joy...

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Small? I'd say miniscule... :)

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I'm sure this is the beginning of a trend in which young people reject the Web and drive the revival of newspapers worldwide.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Maybe the kid wanted his grandma to see the photo.

5. cranberry

Good point. My mother in Vero Beach hasn't been able to keep up with my work for years.

6. Believe it or not, it seems to me that something becomes more legitimate to kids if they see it in the paper rather than the online version of the same story. It might just be that the hard copy is just easier to cut out for their scrap book or whatever, but maybe there's something to be said for the legitimacy the printed product still has in communities.
    Then again, maybe I'm grasping at straws, too.

7. cranberry

There's limited space in a newspaper, so getting into it is more difficult.

8. chazp

chazp Active Member

You're right. Grandmas still make scrapbooks for their grandkids. When granny dies we're in trouble!

9. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

You can put anything on the Interwebs. When it's in printed form, everyone's guaranteed to see it.

Believe it or not, this whole Internet newspaper thing just hasn't taken off yet with a lot of people.

10. This "small victory" is the very definition of hyperlocal.

Put a picture of or story about ME in your paper and I might buy it. Otherwise, see ya!

11. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

He only said that because he's not smart enough to work a printer.

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I doubt very serious the kid realizes this.

Draft saved Draft deleted