1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A slap in the face of the high and mighty writers?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by creamora, May 8, 2007.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

So...explain to me how a poll of fans should affect media coverage of anything.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I'm no longer high, nor mighty, but I am in the media. I will flog myself in shame tonight.

Just realized the softball-sized double entendre present. Waiting ... waiting ...

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Half the board is lining up to flog you instead, Bubs. :)

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Don't be so hard on yourself, bubs. I'm sure you're high.

5. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Careful with all those facts, Ragu. People might learn something.

6. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Opinion polls served us so well in early 2003, too. How does a poll represent fact? 38% of Republican presidential candidates don't believe in evolution? Does that mean they are right?

And polls with Bush approval ratings around 30 percent have had an impact on his decisions, haven't they?

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

This was a good point. Within media circles the groupthink is certainly that Bonds is an an arrogant jerk, etc. This board is a pretty good example. And I'd be willing to bet that 90 percent of the people calling Bonds an arrogant jerk (or whatever) and speaking with such authority on the subject have never been in the same room with him no less talked to him.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Let Bonds have his day in the sun. Because A-Rod will break his record in other 8 years and Pujols will be right behind him.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

cran --

I've met him, and he was an asshole.

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

How so? Did he insult you? Flip you the bird?

I've seen him treat people in a manner I find less than respectful and sometimes downright rude (particularly media folks, whom he's always treated with disdain) but I've also seen a charming and thoughtful side.

My theory is that he learned to treat writers with contempt by listening to his dad and Willie all of those years. I think the seeds of mistrust were planted pretty early w/Bonds.

The way he treats the media has shaped his public persona more than it should. That's mostly on him, of course, but not all on him.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

It's not just the media, cran.

You don't have to go too far to find teammates who think he's a gigantic ass, too.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Same here...on both counts. And I've heard enough first-hand accounts. This is not a made-up thing. The man is an arrogant jerk.

Draft saved Draft deleted