1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

a slanted perspective on women's tennis.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by cougargirl, Jul 18, 2007.

1. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Now I'm all for a bit of edginess, but this is going way, way WAAAAAY over the cliff. See, not just any average joe can write a column for the local paper.

http://www.islandpacket.com/editorial/col/clark/story/6592052p-5870025c.html

A tennis pro providing commentary? To me, Exhibit A is too college-joe-bloggish and conjures up memories of David Cone's ill-fated 1988 NLCS column-writing stint.

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Holy crap. That was godawful writing, no matter who penned it.

3. John

John Well-Known Member

I saw no point in reading past the first couple of grafs.

4. FlipSide

FlipSide Member

My favorite part:
    "Mostly for the children, I continue to haul out their extensive emotional baggage periodically, anyway.
    I've got to say, I'm sick of paying extra for over-packing. My word limit. For every word I go over, I have to pay the paper back in rare coins. And I'm running out of wheat pennies."

That entire column didn't come close to making sense. Not sure when I've read anything worse. ... Everyone should click, just to bask in the ridiculousness.

5. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

That looks like it was written by a 6th grader! God awful.

6. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

...riddled with ADD. Too many images, too much inside-jokey attempts as humor. It's like this author attended the Bill Simmons school of humor, and was so juiced up to reference everything. Seriously, anytime you find yourself including all this in a column:
    Shaq camp, Magic School Bus, Cabbage Patch Kids, Polly Pocket, Trolls, wheat pennies, Milk Duds, Garfield, Big Brother, and the Lunesta Butterfly...

It's time to consider just a biiiiiit of editing.

7. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

God, that's awful.

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

That wasn't slanted, that was Cowgirl-at-Mardi-Gras drunk.

In all seriousness, that column extinguished my last dying spark of desire to live. I was going to the train station tomorrow morning to take a trip. Now I'm going tonight so I can stand on the tracks. THANKS A LOT.

Draft saved Draft deleted