1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A significant hiss for SI.com

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HejiraHenry, Jul 17, 2008.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

They have run a Vault feature on the best college sports fotos of the year.

Those taken by SI photographers have their names in the credit line. The AP photos do not.

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/gallery/featured/GAL1142065/1/index.htm?bcnn=yes

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Should this really be a big hiss?

We run AP photos all the time, but just credit the AP. Only our staff photogs get full photo credits.

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I think if you're running a feature billed as the 37 best fotos, then all of the involved shooters should get full credit.

4. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I can think of only one time when I've used an AP photog's name in the credit -- local AP guy took one of the most amazing NFL shots I've ever seen and the SE approved crediting him. We did it only because we knew it was a once-in-a-lifetime shot, and he'd done some favors for us. The staff photogs were pissed as hell that A.) it was our lead art and B.) we gave him a credit. They could be catty little fuckers.

5. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

We always credit AP photogs, unless it's a file photo. If you're going to run a full byline for an AP story, you should give the photog credit as well, IMO.

6. jps

jps Active Member

Have always run names of photogs regardless of them being AP or staff. Same as stories. Now, if stories are shortened to say 6 inches to fill a hole, just AP is fine -- just like if a photo is scaled down to a mug. Otherwise, give the people credit.

And in this case, yes, SI should have named names. No soup for them!

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

We run AP photo credits as well. Rightly.

8. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

The picture of the college girl getting carried off - the AP staffed that event?
    I'm guessing that was a local photog and the AP picked it up.
    SI really should have given credit to the photogs.

9. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Ah, you see we rarely use a full byline either, pretty much only for our front.

10. sportsed

sportsed Member

How is this worthy of inclusion in a collection of college photos of the year?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/gallery/featured/GAL1142065/3/37/index.htm

An aerial of a stadium, even if everyone and their brothers were holding up white cardboard tiles, doesn't rate in my book. At the very least, this one should have been credited simply as "SI."

For what it's worth, there might be just enough photos from the bunch to make a decent top-10 list. A good two thirds or more were pretty average, in my opinion.

Draft saved Draft deleted