1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"A scout said"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by RedCanuck, Jun 21, 2007.

1. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

NFL coaches usually don't speak on condition of anonymity. Additionally, as Moneyball showed, scouts are notorious for being wrong about players. There are hundreds of scouts but just a handful of coaches. It's like the difference between quoting a judge and quoting Joe Schmoe, attorney at law. Quoting a scout is no different than CNN putting some talking head on the TV to tell you about some topic that doesn't require a so-called expert.

2. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i don't understand what you're arguing about at this point. in a story about a player a scout's take is the most objective analysis you're going to get. this is what journalists are supposed to do - report beyond the basic facts. the scout can tell you why player X, despite having good numbers, is a disaster or vice versa. every one who reads the sports section knows that scouting is an inexact science. so why wouldn't you use it?

3. accguy

accguy Member

If you're a college hoops writer, you often need to talk to people about a player's nba potential. the problem is that nba teams can't talk about underclass players until they have declared for the draft.

so, you end up with "an NBA Eastern Conference scout said."

I think it adds because often times they give a realistic look at a player who has been repeatedly blown by his coach, opposing coaches, media, etc. NBA scouts can quickly point out holes in a kid's game and what parts of his game have to get better to play in "the association."

4. the fop

the fop Member

Also, in the case of baseball, a player not making the majors doesn't mean the scout was "wrong" about the player. Look how many players are drafted and how few MLB jobs there are. Factor in the undrafted kids from Latin America and free agents from Japan. Scouts' takes are a projection of what the player has a chance to become. Unless someone tells you Joe Schmoe from Podunk High could pitch in the majors right now, which they never do.

5. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

I shouldn't be astounded by the ignorance I encounter here, but I always am. For people purportedly in the business, there sure are a lot of people here who have no clue how the business works. People who think the scouts quotes shouldn't be used or don't add anything really scare me.

6. HeinekenMan

So, if I were to write a story about how a scout said that a local kid was a definite first round pick in the MLB draft and then the kid was a fourth-round pick, is that considered good journalism? I mean, I sought a professional opinion from someone who probably would rather have other teams bid too high on the athlete.

If you want to talk about an athlete's talent, then do the damned research. It's not enough to call a scout and get a throwaway quote about how wonderful Joe Blow is. There are times when quoting a scout is useful, but it's an exception to the general rule. And the general rule is there to keep reporters who don't know shit themselves from using scouts as a crutch.

For the record, I know a few scouts in my neck of the woods who would say that the kids they're looking at are the greatest athletes in the free world. But that's because they have a bias, whether they're aware or not.

7. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Could be we're talking about different kinds of scouts here.

I'm not referring to amateur scouts who keep tabs on high school players. I'm talking about major league scouts, who have a lot more authority and a lot more credibility. Sample names from the past: Hugh Alexander, Ed Liberatore, Howie Haak, Jim Russo, Ray Shore.

8. KP

KP Active Member

In the eyes of the scout he may have the tools of a first-rounder, but teams may let him fall because of issues like signability, agent, or simply Player X is better than Player Y.

9. leo1

leo1 Active Member

monty, i'm glad someone agrees with me.

i'm checking out of this thread now, never to return.

10. HeinekenMan

I think I'll check out of this thread, too. Apparently, Montezuma's inability to win an argument requires him to attack the intelligence of the other posters and question their understanding of sports journalism.

11. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Bob McGinn of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel always seems to be able to find an unnamed scout willing to shred the Packers' new draft picks...some of that stuff is hilarious shit, especially when they are commenting on a lack of intelligence...

No, I'm not Bob, and no, I don't work for the Journal Sentinel... :D

Draft saved Draft deleted