1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A scenario where Boise State could be voted the AP champion

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dooley_womack1, Dec 9, 2006.

1. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

Yeah, that makes sense. Michigan lost to OSU, UF beat them so let's switch and declare Michigan number one. That'd make the media look just great - no editor worth a damn would let anyone vote in an AP poll again if the voters made themselves the story like that.

2. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Even if Florida beat Ohio State by the screwiest way imaginable, the voters are going to compensate by not dropping the Buckeyes much if at all. That's how they reconcile controversial losses.

3. DrRosenpenis

DrRosenpenis Member

You people are just sick.

This is debate for the sake of debate. If OSU wins, they remain No. 1 everywhere. If Florida wins, it beat the top team and will be voted No. 1 everywhere, no matter if it's 50-0 or 21-20.

Boise State isn't going to win anyway. AP runs for 185 and 3 scores.

4. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Funny how the AP poll has no bearing on the national championship game's participants, yet, having Boise State finish No. 1 in the AP poll would be equivalent to a national title.

Ohio State or Florida wins the national title. End of story.

5. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

What if the game ends in a tie?

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I sure hope that was sarcasm.

7. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

I sure hope that you were hoping that that was sarcasm.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Not sure if I believe it, but I don't think it's 100 percent impossible. How high do you think Boise could theoretically finish? And I'm glad some people weren't grumps and actually considered the question.

9. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Yeah, but LSU and USC "shared the national title" in 2003.

LSU won the BCS title. USC won the AP title. I'm still trying to figure out what national title they shared.

10. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

If the scenario breaks the way several posters have described (which is highly unlikely, but lets play along), I think the AP voters would love to create more controversy by voting Boise as the top team. If you put those voters under truth serum, they would admit that Boise is, at best, a Top 5 team, but that they wanted to create a shitstorm of controversy that might finally put the BCS out of its misery. In that regard, I think it could happen.

11. DrRosenpenis

DrRosenpenis Member

No one should consider that question because it's IMPOSSIBLE for Boise to finish No. 1.

Highly unlikely? No, IMPOSSIBLE!
    Long-shot? No, IMPOSSIBLE!

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Then don't post on this thread if a little imagination upsets you so.

Draft saved Draft deleted