1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A sad day at KDKA and in Pittsburgh

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 93Devil, Sep 14, 2007.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I grew up watching him.

http://www.timesonline.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=18816284&BRD=2305&PAG=461&dept_id=478569&rfi=6

NEW BRIGHTON - Tears flowed freely in New Brighton Thursday as news of Ray Tannehill's death passed through his hometown.
    Tannehill was always one of New Brighton's favorite sons, and he never forgot it.

No matter how high his stature in the news business, the man affectionately nicknamed the "managing editor" at KDKA-TV was never too big for New Brighton. He knew presidents, prime ministers and potentates, but felt more comfortable sitting in the Oak Hill Veterans Association than the Oakmont Country Club

2. markvid

markvid Guest

RIP Ray.
    Many hours of my youth were spent watching him, Patti and Bill Burns.

3. 93Devil

My mom and dad always watched Ray. I don't know why. Maybe they liked Kudzma as well.

Rock solid news man though.

4. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

My mother watched the KDKA news each and every day. She always told me she was in the hospital, watching the noon news with Bill Burns, when she went into labor with me.

I left Western Pennsylvania 25 years ago and I've often wondered how many of those people I grew up watching and listening to are still around.

5. 93Devil

Many are still there. They just older, like we all do.

I watch them 2-3 times a year when I go back to visit.

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I think that the only people left from my youth at KDKA are Patrice King Brown and Jon Burnett.

7. 93Devil

http://kdka.com/bios

There still are a handful for me...

Brown, Hayes, Don Cannon!!! and Zanos.

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

ahh yes, Cannon. Forgot him. If Mike Bogaslawski's still alive they should bring him back

Draft saved Draft deleted