1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

a round of golf in 2:15!!!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BB Bobcat, Oct 8, 2008.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

2. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

I've got you beat. Coming home from Myrtle Beach, my buddy and I stopped at Ft. Jackson in Columbia, which has 36 holes. Finished the entire track in less than 4 hours. Shot 74-73, he shot 75-75

3. bueller

bueller Member

This guy scoffs. He played in 57 minutes.

[​IMG]

4. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

Considering I just played in an outing a couple weeks ago that took over 5 1/2 hours to complete and nearly sparked a fight between me and the group in front of me, you can mark me down in the category of "incredibly envious" after reading this story.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I have taken longer. I don't mind taking five hours if people are moving but guys who won't even get their club out until their buddy has hit his ball that's 10 feet away make me want to start raining titleists on them.

6. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Worst experience I had, I was in a twosome with some schmuck and it took 2-1/2 hours to play the front nine. But I was on the verge of breaking 90 for the first time so I didn't mind all that much.
    The schmuck jammed his club into the ground on the 8th fairway and hurt a finger, but we pressed on. Then we got to the 9th green, there already were 4 carts (two foursomes) waiting on the 10th tee. As we finished putting on 9, another foursome hurried out of the snack bar to get to the 10th tee before us.
    With 12 golfers in front of us and the schmuck's finger hurting, we were looking at probably another 3-1/2 to 4 hours for the back nine. We bagged it.

7. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

We were waiting on the tee box of a par 3, the group behind us was finishing up on the green behind us. The group in front of us, meanwhile, was standing off to the side of the green, just talking - nobody in their group had putted yet, nobody even had a club in their hands getting ready to hit. They were a full two holes behind the group in front of them (I know this because I know the group that started ahead of them, and I could see those guys were on the green two holes ahead).

So from the tee box, I call down "Come on, what are we waiting for?" Tough guy down there flips me the bird and tells me to come say it to his face. So after they take an eternity to putt, then drag their feet and give us the stink eye walking off, we hit our shots and go to the green. They, of course, still haven't finished teeing off, and taking the guy's advice, I DO say something to his face. He proceeds to drop a bunch of f-bombs, telling me I'm full of shit, yada yada. Marshall comes in and breaks things up.

Since it's a shotgun start, they still have one hole to play once we finished, so we have to drive past them to get to the clubhouse. Guy tells us we "would've saved five fucking minutes" had we gone in front of them, and my dad, diplomat that he is, responds with "oh, shut up already" and we just keep driving. Asshole again starts with the profanity and challenges us to a fight... after we had already driven 40 yards away up the fairway.

Not my most enjoyable day on the links.

8. Chef

Chef Active Member

And shot -20.

9. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

BB Bobcat: I had your mark in sight this afternoon. Golf course was deserted. Played two balls, made the turn in an hour and 10 minutes. I was zipping along until I caught up to a group of four at the 17th (and there was a 4 in front of them). Took me 20 minutes to play the last hole and a half, but I holed out in 2:40.

I've got rounds set up for Friday and Saturday and, unfortunately, both places will be packed; no way those rounds will be less than 4 and a half.

10. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

I'm OK with a four, even four and half round with a foursome. We play for cash and are decent, so I expect some thought behind the shots.

But when we get closer to five, even six, then it's too far.

Four hours is the perfect time. Time to enjoy being on the course.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I've walked my local muni in about 2:30. Nothing better.

Nothing worse than 5-hour rounds in a cart. I hate courses that pack the tee sheet on the weekend then prohibit walking. Mr. Starter, my guys aren't going to hold up your gridlocked course by walking.

12. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

It's not about speed for the carts. They're revenue generators

Draft saved Draft deleted