1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A-Rod Wants to Talk to Yanks Without Boras

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jgmacg, Nov 14, 2007.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

OHOHOOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHO

A-Rod will get millions and millions of dollars. Boras will remain his agent.

That is all.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

I hope A-Rod re-signs with the Yankees because I'm interested in seeing the backtracking from a couple of the know-it-alls on this thread who are so sure that this couldn't happen. ::)

I think Shockey is right: this is about A-Rod trying to make it appear as if he's a man. Anyone who has watched A-Rod preen has to believe he was on board with announcing the opt-out in Game Four of the World Series. There's nothing he loves more than being the center of attention...except maybe people saying nice things about him. What better way to be both the center of attention and a popular figure than by crawling back to the Yankees, hat in hand and sans agent?

It's far easier for A-Rod to throw Boras under the bus and beg for a return to the Yankees than to sit out there on the market for months while no one approaches his asking price. And I'm sure Boras has no problem with it...it's just business. The two of them combined have less soul than the lint on my rug. It's all about the benjamins. A-Rod will still set a record if he re-signs with the Yankees. And I'm sure Boras will get over his nuts being loped off in public when his 3% cut arrives.

3. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

OOP, have you not been paying attention? This isn't 1998, 1999, 2000 or 2001 anymore. Teams aren't willing to break the bank for one player anymore. Franchises don't want to lose out on draft picks. Look at the teams that were in the playoffs: They all had home grown talent in important roles.

If there's another team out there that's willing to talk to ARod, they're not going to offer a $300 million dollar contract. It doesn't make sense to have one guy take up one-third of a team's payroll.

4. TheSportsPredictor

Oh, really, JD Drew for five years and $70 million?

Oh, really, Dice-K, for six years and $52 million?

Oh, really, Barry Zito for seven years and $126 million?

Oh, really, Gil Meche for five years and $55 million?

Oh, really, Aramis Ramirez for five years and $73 million?

Oh, really, Alfonso Soriano for eight years and $136 million?

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I have a feeling he disagrees with you.

6. TheSportsPredictor

Disagrees w/me or w/facts?

7. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Yeah, he does.

But what he's missing is that following the insanity of the late 1990's--
    Jeter's 10 year, $189-million deal; Manny's eight-year, $160 contract; ARod's 10-year, quarter of a billion deal being prominent--franchises have begun to stress the importance of draft picks and financial restraint.

The Giants were desperate to make a splash in free agency and after having Soriano and Carlos Lee pass, they felt like they had to break the bank for the middling Zito. Royals were the same way with Meche. The Red Sox didn't want to lose out to the Yankees on the Dice-K sweepstakes and needed a right fielder. The Cubs needed another bat so they signed Soriano.

8. TheSportsPredictor

Yep, just like teams did in 1998, 1999, 2000, and 2001.

9. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Most teams would rather build from within and add with several FAs. Look at the Red Sox. They added Dice-K and the underwhelming J.D. Drew in free agency, but had Varitek, Youkilis, Pedroia, Ellsbury among others whom they developed. Same with your Indians, who were pretty much all came up together, like the Rockies.

In the late 90s and early 2000, teams built through free agency. Now it's as if free agents are the icing on the cake.

10. chester

chester Member

Yet, you quoted Jeter's deal as an example. That's not a free-agent case as much as it is resigning one of their own homegrown players to keep him off the market. By the way, those Yankee teams had plenty of homegrown talent - Jeter, Pettitte, Rivera, Williams, Posada, among others. It wasn't until after 2001 that they went all bat-shit crazy again trying to sign every free agent.

11. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

The market came around. By the end, none of those contracts were overpriced.

12. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I quoted the Jeter deal as an example of a franchise signing a player to a long term, big money deal.

Draft saved Draft deleted