1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A-Rod Wants to Talk to Yanks Without Boras

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jgmacg, Nov 14, 2007.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

If it were true, this would not surprise me. Starting with the spring training interview he did with Mike and Dog, he's kind of gone out of his way to try to do things on his terms, not others' terms.

Of course, the MLBPA would be pissed.

2. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

I think A-Rod maybe finding the market a little tight. The Cubs would be a good fit, but they just spent all that money two years ago and have ownership issues. The Angels need him to protect Vlad in the lineup, but From what I've read, Moreno doesn't want to part with the money. The Giants need the gate and certainly have the money, but doesn't Lightning-Rod want to play for a contender? He won't get another deal better than the one the Yanks offered. A-Rod does make the Yanks better. They get a MVP at third and get to keep all those young pitchers (w/out having to trade one for Cabrera)

3. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

A-Rod knows that if the Yankees aren't part of the bidding process, he's not going to get the money he wants.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Yes, he's been a free agent for all of one day. He must be panicking by now.

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

No, he needs to stay in New York and prove he can be a winner there. Otherwise, we already know his legacy.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

And I think he's starting to realize that, too.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

May I get some coffee?

New York is the best place for ARod, and the Yanks' best option at 3B is ARod.

If he is chasing 4,000 hits, 2,298 RBIs (which he will smash), 2295 runs (which he will smash) and 762 home runs, wouldn't it be logical to all of them for ARod to be doing this in the largest MLB market?

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

What makes anyone think there's even a remote chance that Alex is going to give up millions of dollars so he can "improve his image" or "prove he can be a winner" in New York? Because some anonymous Yankees/MLB source floats it in a few newspapers? It really doesn't make any sense.

He's the best player in the $6 billion baseball industry. He's got a very good chance to break a number of the game's most cherished records before he's done. He's a free agent coming off his best year. He's going to get paid and nobody's getting a hometown discount. Not even the poor Yankees whom he treated so horribly by exercising his option to walk away.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

But what would the added marketing revenue be worth to him to break these in NYC rather than Atlanta or St. Louis?

And the Mets are not the Yankees in worldwide recognition.

10. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I think if I were Scott Boras, I might tell Alex to get fucked if this were true. Which makes me believe it is not.

11. shockey

shockey Active Member

this, as usual, is all about a-rod's insecurity and desire to be as rich as possible AND as well-liked as possible. a "master stroke." yes. he'd already effed up royally during game 4 of the world series. he's sat back ever since and been ripped by EVERYBODY on the planet. he and his wife have watched on in absolute HORROR as this happened, with the bidding they were assured would happen by boras never happened.

a master-stroke? you bet. it's called making the best of an awful situation. a-rod gets a still-astounding contract. probably rids himself of boras. ends his career in pinstripes. i'd say that's darn good.

12. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

This way royally screwed up from the get-go. ARod and Boras thought this was 2000 all over again, where teams were willing to break the bank for individual players. Once they saw there wasn't a market for him, did Boras and Rodriguez re-think their plan.

Draft saved Draft deleted