1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A-Rod vs. Selena Roberts

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by WaylonJennings, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Well, that's not black and white. What about college kids? Or high school kids?

When a player on my beat got arrested, our AP guy called the SID and said, "I'm calling him. I just want you to know that. It's AP policy, and I answer to my bosses before I answer to the University of X sports information department or coach John Doe."

2. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

If she has other stuff on Arods steroid use, should it be in SI or her book?

3. What's so wrong with it being in her book? That publisher is financing the investigation.

I don't understand why it's wrong to make money off a book. Very few people are getting rich off of writing books, and yet there seems to be a perception that it's a less pure endeavor than writing for a daily or weekly or online pub.

4. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Good point. And bravo, Ms. Roberts.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Why is it that Selena Roberts is being celebrated but when Jose Canseco came out with his book he was met with ridicule by the media?

6. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Well if the goal is to get to the bottom of the steroid issue and rat out all of the finks -- why stop at shredding the constitution and making a mockery out of our justice system with the witch hunts for baseball players -- why not go all the way and make a total mockery out of our bill of rights and start prosecuting every one that has knowledge of the issue, everyone who has evidence that someone else took steroids and that would include Roberts....

I mean we stopped acting like the United States of America a long time ago with regards to this issue, why not turn it into full-blown steroid-McCarthyism....

Oh wait a minute, we already have.

7. zagoshe

Because, unlike him, she is doing noble work and not in it for the rewards that might come by writing a book.........

Oh wait a minute, scratch that.....

Good question.

8. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Did she start out to write a book, or merely to report the story she was assigned? Sucks for A-Fraud that she found enough dirt to fill said book, but that's his problem.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

She claims that it started out as SI assignment and turned into book when she developed so much material. Her agent went to publisher and sold a book deal based on said information. No different than Jose Canseco.

10. Except these guys are, you know, guilty.

You need to take about a month or two off from here and learn how to better organize your incoherent rants.

11. zagoshe

Oh that's right, the government is truly interested in prosecuting five-year old "crimes" of this nature -- based on evidence they themselves know they can't get most of in court -- not because of the grandstanding it enables them to do because of the high-profile nature of the defendants, but because it is a noble pursuit, really.

What a joke.

How many more end runs around the consitution are federal prosecutors going to be allowed to try and attempt to get Barry Bonds before we as a people stand up and say enough is enough?

Again, if the government is truly interested in getting to the bottom of this they'd go after every single person who has knowledge of the situation -- and given that whoever leaked the info to Roberts and SI BROKE THE LAW, they should go after them and try to find them with just as much vigilance as they are going after Bonds.

But they won't -- why? Because this is a witch hunt and a witch hunt that is allowed to happen because whiny-ass American wusses like you will stand by and let them shit all over the bill of rights and constitution in order to bring down big name rich guys who you are envious of and hate for their fame and fortune.

12. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Nobody is saying it is "less pure endeavor". If she is hired by SI to do a story on Arod and travels with SI footing the bill, shouldn't the news be in the magazine or website?

If her publisher is footing the bill then it is book material.

Draft saved Draft deleted