1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A-Rod vs. Selena Roberts

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by WaylonJennings, Feb 9, 2009.

1. -Scoop-

-Scoop- Member

I agree 100 percent. There's probably a lotta people out there who think SI went about this poorly while ESPN "did it right."

2. RayKinsella

RayKinsella Member

Gammons took his scribe hat off for good when he started working for WWL.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Why should Gammons fight that battle?

She works for SI!

::) ::) ::)

4. I give Gammons a pass on that portion of the interview. He was trying to change the subject. He didn't want to give A-Rod a platform to continue to drag Selena Roberts, a competitor, through the mud. He was in a bit of a no-win situation once A-Rod started bringing her up. The best thing to do was to just change the subject and hope he dropped it.

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I'd probably be annoyed by a pesky reporter following me around and trying to dig up dirt about me for an unauthorized biography? Who wouldn't? From a nuisance standpoint, it's not much different from paparazzi. But it's also part of the life of a celebrity that you have to find a way to deal with it.

6. I really hope you are wrong on that.
    The hardcore fans may side with A-Roid. Bit I think a lot of people are going to go against him.
    Yeah he admitted it, but only (SURPRISE!) after he was caught.
    I think a lot of the public is really getting fed up with this bullshit.

7. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

A few days of questionable tactics (he claims, she refutes) vs. uncovering his steroids use and exposing him as a liar and a cheat? People who would side with A-Rod over the reporter in that circumstance are beyond reasoning with.

However, I felt a tiny bit different about the whole process when I learned that the story was broken as part of research for a book, rather than as an SI investigation. Granted, as a highly-paid staffer of the magazine, Roberts did the right thing and didn't "save" this revelation for a Barnes & Noble blockbuster (would have been nice if the Torre/A-Fraud stuff had shown up in the magazine rather than waiting for the SI writer's book).

It also would be nice if SI were the ones funding and directing this sort of sports journalism, rather than relying on the book publishers with whom its writers (some of whom aren't exactly overworked) are moonlighting.

8. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

That's exactly what I'm hoping ... he clearly wasn't going to 'fess up to PED use before Selena Roberts broke it. I wish more people saw/understood that particular aspect on these "celebrity" apologies.

9. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

...and if those pesky reporters hadn't confronted John Edwards, well, just use your imagination...

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I don't understand this line o thinking. Should ARod, who had never been questioned in the past, suddenly announce that he had used steroids? Out of the blue?

No one would admit to something if it hadn't already come out. If you feel like he should have admitted to the usage before Roberts broke the story, well, I hope you are clamoring for those other 103 people to come out right now.

11. No one thinks that. But he also shouldn't stand there and act like he's so, so happy to get this all off his chest, like he's taking ownership of the story, and in the next breathe rip to shreds the person who broke the story.

12. He was questioned in the past .. at least once. On national television.
    He was asked point blank by 60 Minutes (what three years ago?)and said no.
    Now after, evidence has come out that yeah he juiced he's sorry.
    Why not a few years ago when asked? Because there was no reason not to lie. There was no evidence.
    It is and will be same if and when Lance Armstrong is ever caught.

Draft saved Draft deleted