1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A-Rod suspended for rest of season & all of 2014, appeals

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Jul 31, 2013.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Re: Lifetime ban for A-Rod coming?

In the first place, they never believe they're going to get caught.

In the second, if they're willing to cross the line into cheating to break those records or hit 30 homers or be an ace or even just to be a big-leaguer, why would getting a little more money change that?

Even if it was all about the money (and I don't think it is), why wouldn't they keep taking steroids in order to get the next contract or stay in the game a little longer to collect a few more bucks?

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Did A-Rod damage the sport more than Pete Rose?

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I'll tell you when we know what they have on A-Rod. Haven't seen a bit of their evidence yet, so it's too early to say.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

A-Rod is the only one on steroids?

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Hell, no, I don't think so. Might be the most high profile. But I suspect there are dozens, if not hundreds, of players knee deep in this.

I applaud baseball's efforts to clean it up and not turn a blind eye. That applause is tempered by the "how the hell did it get so messed up?" question.

Partly because of that, as well as other factors, I haven't watched a Major League game in years and don't miss it in the least. Hockey lasts through June and football starts in August (or July in the CFL). So the period of the calendar that is dark for me isn't all that long and I choose to turn off the TV and read a book instead of watch.

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Now what does baseball do about all the players that were popping the now-banned greenies from the 50s through 2000?

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Delete them from the record books. That's about all there is.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

What makes you think they stopped in 2000?

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The ones who wanted better baseball through chemistry had better drugs to turn to.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Doesn't a lot of this trace back directly to McGwire & Sosa?

Bonds was pissed that they put up those kinds of numbers, and cheated to do it, so he said, "fuck it," I'll show them what I can do when I'm on the juice and hit 73 homeruns.

And now, all the records are held by guys who cheated. So, if a guy like A-Rod wants to break them, he pretty much has to cheat to do it.

Which, is not any kind of excuse, but I do think it's at the root of it.

But, I also have to believe that A-Rods injuries can also be attributed, at least partially, to PED use/abuse, and he's only increased the usage to try and overcome them.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Plenty of players used illegal alcohol products in the 1920s and 30s, too.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

When do you think Rodriguez started using?

Draft saved Draft deleted