1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A-Rod suspended for rest of season & all of 2014, appeals

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

On the table if he keeps playing hardball with the commissioner's office. So says USA Today's Bob Nightengale:

http://m.usatoday.com/article/news/2606319

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Re: Lifetime ban for A-Rod coming?

I don't think that's what it says.

Commissioner Bud Selig is prepared to levy a lifetime suspension on New York Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez, while suspending about eight others before the weekend, two people with knowledge of the negotiations told USA TODAY Sports.

It doesn't say he is going to do it. Or even that he is likely to do it. I think it's just ramping up the threat level to get him to accept the suspension they want him to take.

Of course maybe they announce the lifetime ban tonight, who knows. But that report does not appear to advance things a whole lot from where they are.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's why I put the question mark in the header. I could have worded the OP better, though. I'll do that.

4. LongTimeListener

Without knowing what's in the report, it looks like this is crazily unfair to both A-Rod and the rest of baseball, and it looks like he's going far beyond prior precedent. Plus it's happening at a time that the Yankees are in pretty big trouble competitively, now and in future years, and it looks like a shortcut to help them back to the top.

The ONLY team that wants this to happen is the Yankees. Everyone else wants them to pay for their own arrogance and their belief that money solves everything.

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Can anyone explain to me why Alex Rodriguez should possibly be facing a lifetime ban?

I get that nobody likes him. Hell, I don't like him, and I don't particularly like the Yankees. He signed a big, bad contract and hasn't dominated in the playoffs. But on what grounds could anyone possibly justify a lifetime ban for a guy who would technically be a first time drug offender?

6. LongTimeListener

That's where it gets even crazier. They are supposedly looking at banning him under the "best interests of baseball" clause. Essentially Bud will kick him out for the same reason Bowie Kuhn sent Vida Blue, Rollie Fingers and Joe Rudi back to the A's.

Makes no sense whatsoever. And I can't see it holding up in court, and I can't see A-Rod dropping it when there's about $100 million on the line.

7. LongTimeListener

BTW the potential end of the road is this week's SI cover -- S.L. Price visits A-Rod at his minor league stops. Nothing all that revealing, but I didn't know Cashman has refused to use "Alex" and instead calls him "Mr. Rodriguez."

The Yankees' pettiness and immaturity exceeds even A-Rod's these days.

8. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

As I said on the other thread, much of the media (the tabs mainly, not SI or Price) is cheerleading the thought of this ban and how it might benefit the Yankees. It's pathetic.

9. LongTimeListener

I can't understand why the Red Sox, Orioles, Rays and Blue Jays aren't raising holy hell about the prospect of letting the Yankees off the hook.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Agreed. Cashman has not come off well in this at all. The F-bomb he dropped in response to Rodriguez tweeting that he was ready to play was extremely unprofessional.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Is really facing lifetime ban though? Like H.L. mentioned, it's mostly speculation from media who appear to have lost all objectivity on this one.

Now, if someone wants to make the point that suspending him for 100 games would essentially be a lifetime ban, I might agree with that.

12. LongTimeListener

If he's suspended for 100 games, he still has $80 million waiting on the other side. He isn't walking away from that.

Draft saved Draft deleted