1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A-Rod Gives Up

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by qtlaw, Feb 7, 2014.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

http://nypost.com/2014/02/07/a-rod-backs-down-suit-against-league-commissioner-union-dropped/

Wow, first move of contrition I've ever seen from the guy.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Is it contrition or just acceptance that he has no case?

Threats of shit-flinging never pan out. Dammit.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

First smart move A-Rod has made in the whole affair. Best for him to totally disappear from the news for a year and let the public forget.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Interesting move on a few levels.

The ESPN article says it was going cost $10 million in legal fees to fight for $25 million in 2014 salary and that, presumably, was why he dropped the fight. But he has to know that dropping the suits will be seen in the court of public opinion as a tacit admission of guilt.

I'm wondering if the main reason is that MLB's evidence would have become public record and no matter the outcome of the lawsuit, A-Rod was worried about what that evidence was going to show of him to the public.

Guy still seems to want to come back for 2015. What a shitshow that will be if he remains in pinstripes.

5. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

If the Yankees' owed you approximately $60M in the event that you showed up for work in the Spring of 2015, wouldn't you show up?

A-Rod is a sleazy human being - but he ain't stupid. And leaving $60M on the table would be STUPID!

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Now that it's down to $60M, I could see them eating it. Wasn't there a story that if they cut him, the salary wouldn't count against them in figuring the luxury tax?

7. casty33

casty33 Active Member

All I can say is it's about time.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

So if you were voting today, based on whatever information and opinions you have, would you vote him into the Hall of Fame?

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I would for the simple reason that I don't have a stick up my ass regarding PEDs. Even if I did, I'd vote Bonds in because he was already a HOFer before he even touched a syringe.

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I'm the type of person who doesn't believe that because "everyone else is doing it!!!!" PED users should get a free pass, so no I would not vote him into the Hall. To put it in FB's terms, yes, I have a stick up my ass regarding PEDs.

I honestly don't understand the widening acceptance of cheating.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You don't know that. For all we know, Bonds started using PEDs when he was in high school. That's the problem with all sides of this argument. Far too many people confusing what they believe with actual knowledge.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I picture A-Rod living in a delusional world, removed from reality. Too many instances of him behaving with no clue. But I really figured at this point it was about collecting as much of the three years left on that deal as he can. The court of public opinion already has him as guilty. Pursuing the lawsuits isn't changing that, and really doesn't it just make him look like an even bigger dick than people already think he is? As others are pointing out, all of the other PED players have demonstrated that the best thing to do is go away for a while and hope that everyone forgets -- hopefully, at least a little. The only rational (and I know that word belongs nowhere near A-Rod) reason to pursue those lawsuits would be that he has a reasonable chance to win, and if he wins the suits will cost less than the money he is going to lose. That was clearly not the case.

Draft saved Draft deleted