1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A-Rod finds a way to take the Yankees losing streak off the tabloid covers...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Big Ragu, May 30, 2007.

1. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Re: A-Rod finds a way to take the Yankees losing streak off the tabloid covers..

The Post says today that Stray-Rod has been seen with a blonde in five cities.

In the article:

Want to edit that, N.Y. Post?

2. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Sure, Clark shouldn't have let it affect him, but it's a cheap thing to do in the first place.

Ricciardi was on the radio this morning, and compared it to a third base coach yelling "cut" when the throw's coming in to the third baseman. I thought it was a good comparison.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Good comparison. That's fine, too. You are TRYING TO WIN.

Came close many times ... never ate one.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

And once again Derek Jeter ... captain in name only ... proves what a great teammate he is:

Matt Stairs, who came in from left field while shortstop John McDonald was railing at third base coach Larry Bowa, was crisp in his criticism.
    "It was a [horsespit] play; I hope you use that," Stairs said. "Ask his teammates about it and if they say, 'No comment,' that will tell you."
    Derek Jeter did exactly that.
    "I don't know; you will have to ask him," Jeter said. "I wasn't out there."

There is no bigger fraud than Derek "I don't know anything" Jeter.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Re: A-Rod finds a way to take the Yankees losing streak off the tabloid covers..

He's a professional. He should catch the damn ball. That's his job -- and he didn't do it!

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Christ, these baseball guys should watch hockey sometime. This shit happens all the time. Who was the young guy (I'm thinking it was Gagne or Tanguay) who was chasing Lemieux up the ice and got him to pass him the puck by using his little-known nickname "Ace"? Lemieux laughed about it after and said the kid had done his homework.

A guy I know was playing an NHL exhibition game against the Sabres. He took the puck behind his own net and Chris Drury was right on his ass, banging his stick on the ice and hollering for the puck. My guy took a quick look, dumped it to him and Drury put it in. My guy was off to the AHL the next day.

7. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Well of course you're trying to win. But there's a way to win without embarrassing yourself and your teammates. The Yanks have done enough of it over the past 15 years to know that.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I read that this morning, Spnited... That is why last night I said this was only going to add to ARod's reputation as a bitch. Papers--NY and Toronto--this morning were filled with quotes from the Blue Jays, with a repeat of the evergreen "This is why he'll never be a real Yankee." And the comments from his teammates, such as Jeter in that NY Post article, were lukewarm at best. I actually don't think Jeter would yell at someone to try to get them to drop a fly ball, so I can't use him for a comparison. But it is about how ARod is perceived as much as it is about what he did. If Pete Rose had done that during his career, it would have been, "What an ingenious play by Charlie Hustle. Always trying to win the game!" ARod does it and you get a negative reaction and all the quotes you saw this morning about what a bitch he is. It's unfair, but to my way of thinking he brings it on himself a little.

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I'm afraid I can't even give you that, because it comes back to "ways of winning." And I'm saying you WIN. PERIOD.

If A-Rod's teammates have a problem with him pulling that schoolboy trick -- which led to Toronto botching a play and a run being scored -- then they didn't want to WIN as badly as A-Rod did.

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

John McDonald is one of my favorite players -- terrific guy, very professional, hard-nosed but kind of humble -- but he was wrong on this one and I think he'll figure that out for himself. He got embarrassed and reacted like a lot of people when they've been embarrassed -- by getting mad. But gamesmanship is part of the game: infielders pretend they're getting a throw to force a baserunner to slide; outfielders pretend they have balls lined up; catchers try to get inside hitters' heads, and the trash-talking from dugouts is virtually non-stop.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I'm with Huggy on this.

I'm a Jays fan but McDonald's reaction was way out line.

Admittedly, A-Rod pulled a grade school trick and unfortunately it worked. I'm sure he was as surprised as anyone else.

However, the piece in the Globe this morning is pretty funny:

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20070530.wsptjays30/GSStory/GlobeSportsBaseball/home

"I've never seen it happen," Toronto manager John Gibbons said of the play that led to the second of four runs that the Yankees piled on in the ninth inning last night. Right, John.

And some of the comments attached to the piece are hilarious.

"...there is a rule and it falls under "interference". When a player takes any action which "confuses" another player, that is interference. The umps should have called A-Rod out and Gibbons should have protested the game"

Huh?

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The only way this would have been funnier would be if he'd yelled "NOONAN!"

Draft saved Draft deleted