1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A-Rod finds a way to take the Yankees losing streak off the tabloid covers...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Big Ragu, May 30, 2007.

1. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

All this time and no one has mentioned the Texas blogger who came on here a year or two ago pushing his expose of A-Rod's swinging lifestyle. Now with pictures.

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Anything but a Yankees fan here, but geeeeeez.

I was listening to this on XM on the way home, and Moland and Ragu, you are so wrong. Wrong, as in outdone only by John McDonald wanting to rumble with A-Rod.

The "I got it" thing is a GREAT play. There is NOTHING bush about it. I didn't see the memo about political correctness in baseball, and doubt if it exists.

Only reason McDonald and the Jays are angry is because they got owned.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

As I said on the other thread...brilliant play....helped break open the game.

If it were Jeter or Pete Rose (before the gambling bullshit) it would getting nothing by praise.

4. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

Not sure he yelled, "I got it!" It looked more like, "whaa" or "yaa" -- like something you'd yell if you were sneaking up behind someone.

5. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

This reminds me of when I was on my high school baseball team.

We had a designed play that resulted in preventing about four or five steals throughout the season.

If a runner was on first and took off stealing and the catcher didn't get out of the box quick enough he'd throw the ball high in the air like a pop fly towards second base and the second baseman and shortstop would do the old "I got it, I got it" routine -- acting like it was a pop fly and tricking the runner into thinking he had to return to first.

It worked just about every time.

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

My thing was coming into second base to break up a double play. I'd stay up as long as I could, dare the shortstop to throw the ball at my head. Got out of the way every time; also unnerved some infielders into bad throws as they tried to avoid me.

It's the way the game is played. You scrap for edges. You take back the inside half of the plate if you're a pitcher. And you feint defenders into misplays when you can.

7. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Um, that is a little too risky for my blood -- did you ever come close to taking one in the kisser?

8. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

That's a great strategy until sometime you go in on a second baseman with a quicker (and lower) release than you expect. I agree with scrape for edges, not sure I'd ever recommend that method.

9. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

A-Rod: Baseball's new $126 million man.

10. In Exile

In Exile Member

Really, the only time you ever bitch about that play, which happens all the time at every level (and that doesn't even include the fans doing it) is when you fall for it. And bitching about it IS bush.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I'm a huge Jays fanboy looser but I saw nothing wrong with it. As ARod says, he hears people hollering at him everytime he goes for a popup. You're a fucking pro, that shit isn't supposed to affect you. The Jays reaction was ridiculous. Get some outs in the first fucking inning and that play isn't an issue.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Yep.

You're a professional baseball player. If you can't handle an opponent trying to deke you on a routine play, you're in the wrong business.

Lonnie Smith, step on down. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted