1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A-Rod finds a way to take the Yankees losing streak off the tabloid covers...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Big Ragu, May 30, 2007.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

During my jaunt around the news this morning...

[​IMG]

The story doesn't really say anything:

http://www.nypost.com/seven/05302007/news/regionalnews/hes_a_yankee_doodle_randy_regionalnews_dan_mangan.htm

The Post cracks me up sometimes. I don't know why this kind of treatment from the Post cracks me up so much, but it just does.

2. Because you're a very strange man.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

The Brass Rail.

A Toronto institution.

http://www.brassrailtavern.com/index1.html

We forgot to include it in last summer's Toronto outing.

Where's Huggy? He's the expert on these places--or so I hear.

Brass Rail or House of Lancaster?

4. The Big Ragu

Re: A-Rod finds a way to take the Yankees losing streak off the tabloid covers..

I know... In my head, I immediately jumped to that "oh shit" moment, when a reporter from the NY Post walked up to ARod yesterday and asked him about the blonde they had pictures of him with in Toronto. I am strange. Because if I had to define the word "comedy," that is it. 1) If you are the reporter, are you nervous before you have to walk up and ask the question? Are you cursing the day you got into the business? 2) Was Jeter close enough to hear, and if so, did he burst out laughing? 3) Did it set off a chain of events culminating with Col Allan's phone ringing 20 minutes later with someone "close to" Scott Boras mumbling things about a Swiss bank account?

These are just a few of the things I immediately wanted to know. I will actually feel like I have made my mark in life, when the NY Post has grainy photos taken with a telephoto lens of me on their front cover with a blonde in a hotel somewhere.

5. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Brass Rail.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Real men go to the Zanzibar.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Forgot about the Zanzibar.

Knew you'd come through. :)

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

This never would have happened if ARod had gone to the Whiskey A Go Go.

9. The Big Ragu

Re: A-Rod finds a way to take the Yankees losing streak off the tabloid covers..

I was thinking about this more seriously just now... I am pretty easily amused by things like this, and I just think that if you are ARod, you have to expect that this is the way it is in today's media culture: it comes with the contract and being on the Yankees. But I think to a lot of people this one is going to cross the line. That is the way some people I have talked with this morning feel. This kind of stuff never gets reported on, even though most beat writers have seen more blatant things (there could conceivably be an innocent explanation for this). Is this fair game in the case of ARod because of his high profile and how he has handled NY or do most people here think it crosses the line?

One thing I am genuinely curious about is how this effects George King's ability to do his job. A beat writer obviously has nothing to do with anything like this, and my guess is that most who have to travel with the team would be pissed off by it. But it's still your paper.Will it have any repercussions in that clubhouse, because obviously the players are going to think a major line has been crossed regardless of how they feel about Arod?

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

If I was ARod I would never talk to the Post again.

Is he the only baseball player who could have one in every port so to speak? No.

How many things do we all know about players that we do not write or did not write?

How would have Mickey and Billy survived in today's media?

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Know how I know this thread is Canadian BS?

Ask me.

12. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Is ARod married?

Draft saved Draft deleted