1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A- Rod Book Tanking

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, May 6, 2009.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I'm not assuming anything, I haven't read it. I said I suspect the gossipy stuff might have overshadowed a good read. I have no idea if it's a good read.

As for your first comment, I don't know how anyone can have an opinion on a book they haven't read, but have at it.

Look, I'm not defending Selena or the book, I think it's a massive PR mess. Even people who HATE ARod are defending him. If the book hit the stores the day after the steroid confession, this thing is a #1 hit the next day. Now it's just 'eh'. It's not anything I want to fight about, but it's an interesting study in how these things unfold.

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

My first comment was more of a joke about this site.

I haven't even stated an opinion, well until about 4 posts ago. I'm more of a mind of this about the whole situation: I don't care. Everyone cheats.

But you are probably right, the book would have more success if it was released earlier.

Why did they release the excerpt to SI if they knew it would tank the book? Though I guess they didn't know it would tank the book.

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I could be really wrong, but I believe someone else was close to getting the steroid story, so they ran with it.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

At SI these days it seems like saying "they could eff up a one car funeral" applies

5. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Semi-related:

There are two Clemens books this season, Jeff Pearlman's (which is currently #1790 at Amazon which means nothing but just fyi), and the book by the Daily News team that worked the steroids story (coming out next week).

Will those suffer from the publication of the ARod book (as in, 'Enough, we don't care!!)?

6. Grimace

Grimace Guest

Careful. Boom might have to sic one of his friends on you.

7. Boom_70

New excerpt in this weeks SI seems to have helped sales - book up to #128 on Amazon:

# Hardcover: 272 pages
    # Publisher: Harper (May 4, 2009)
    # Language: English
    # ISBN-10: 0061791644
    # ISBN-13: 978-0061791642
    # Product Dimensions: 9.1 x 6.3 x 1.2 inches

# Amazon.com Sales Rank: #128 in Books (See Bestsellers in Books)

8. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Haven't read much of this thread, but if you get a chance, check out Jason Whitlock's column on this last week. I'm not much of a JW fan -- actually, I generally can't stand him. But someone emailed me the column and I thought it was fantastic.
    My personal opinion: Selena Roberts could eventually end up getting in some big trouble over this because the Times may not care to back her if lawsuits start flying.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

She doesn't work for the Times, and even if she did, yes, they'd back one of their reporters. They wouldn't have printed it if they had reason to believe her investigative work wasn't solid..

Whitlock preaching about the "elite media" is almost as puke-worthy as the fact that he's still milking "this is all about Babe Ruth" for maximum attention. Apparently Roger Clemens never happened and Hank Aaron is persona non grata.

10. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Actually, no.

I think people get the headline in the publicity rush and don't care enough about the details to explore it any further. Seems like the general public is pretty underwhelmed by stories of steroid cheating in baseball.

11. I Digress

I Digress Guest

Gotta disagree with this. You think that book wasn't vetted and re-vetted and then vetted again by lawyers? No way anyone does this without having their legal house in order. Seriously, who did Barry Bonds ever sue?
    I was uncomfortable with JW's column. Seemed very vindictive.

12. Boom_70

Whitlock and Roberts were both at odds on Duke and Rutgers stories. Payback time.

Draft saved Draft deleted