1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A- Rod Book Tanking

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, May 6, 2009.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I think its feminism as opposed to racism.

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Sorry . . . needed to be clearer.

Whitlock said Roberts had a clear feminist agenda.

He then asserted that the media's coverage of steroids had a racist element to it.

(Pause now to guffaw)

Speaking about the book as "rumor and gossip," in response to Rome's question of why A-Rod hasn't defended himself against the latest allegations in SI, Whitlock also said, "You can't chase down every rumor about you. (Jim), you get gossiped about, right? I get gossiped about in Kansas City!"

WTF is there to gossip about?

"I saw Whitlock at Gates, and he mixed in a salad!"

"Whitlock was in a public place, and he actually treated women with respect!"

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I gotta say, the 'feminist agenda' angle here just pisses me off to no end.

What would the agenda be if a male reporter wrote this book?

This is the 'classic bitch' affront, again, again, again.

4. I Digress

I Digress Guest

I was thinking that, too, 21. If a guy had exhaustively investigated and written this book, would he get attacked like this? I think people are attacking the woman writer because they can. Maybe it's a sack of shit. Maybe it's all true. But a lot of people are drawing lines without even reading it.
    I personally think it's not selling because the public has decided it doesn't care about steroids.

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Could people be attacking it because it goes against general journalistic thought on anonymous sources? Or because of earlier questions about her because of her Duke column?

I'm not saying that people aren't going after her because she's a woman, but not everyone that thinks the book (or what they've heard/read about it) sucks are saying so because she's a woman. Give some of us some credit, please.

6. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Absolutely.

Some are attacking it because they're Yankee fanboys.

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Are you serious? This was in response to specific accusations that Selena had a feminist agenda. No one said 'everyone' thinks this is the case.

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Isn't it fanbois? And there are plenty of people attacking it who absolutely hate the Yankees.

21 - My bad, I just felt like there were some sweeping generalizations in some of the posts.

9. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I thought it was in reference to Duke.

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I think it has become a general characterization, I've heard it repeatedly over the last couple of days.

I honestly don't know one person who has read the book cover to cover, but everyone sure has an opinion.

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Isn't that what this board is for? Having opinions and assuming things?

Aren't you assuming something by saying it will be a good read? Couldn't it be a terrible read?

12. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

This book's sales are tanking compared to what? Every published author will tell you that following the Amazon ranking hourly is a fool's game because it is as erratic as Larry Hagman doing a field sobriety test. It is the top selling baseball book as well as the top sports book. Compared to anything but Boom's inflated expectations, it is selling fine.

This thread is just another one of Boom's cries for relevance in a world where no one understands him but his woman.

Draft saved Draft deleted