1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A-Rod Agonistes

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jgmacg, Oct 9, 2007.

?

A-Rod: Stay or Go?

1. Stays

9 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Goes

18 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. That's not necessarily true. Moreno has said he won't be part of any record-breaking contract ($300M??), but I'm 100 percent positive the Angels will be a player in the A-Rod sweepstakes.

2. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Cashman & Boras are playing a high stakes game of chicken & it will be interesting to see who blinks first. Cashman reiterated today that if Arod files for FA, terminating the Rangers contract, the Yanks are out. Boras is unlikely to get the numbers he'll want without at least having the Yankees in on the process.

3. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Gentlemen, start your checkbooks!

NEW YORK (AP) — Alex Rodriguez is ready to cash in. Again.
    Agent Scott Boras hinted Tuesday that A-Rod will opt out of the final three seasons of his contract with the New York Yankees and seek a new deal in the free-agent market that will lock him up through his pursuit of Barry Bonds’ home-run record.

4. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

And, oh yeah, with the money saved from the loss of Garcia, Lieber, Rowand, money owed Thome, etc., the Phils sign him.

/phanboy
    //and yeah, i know there's no way in hell

5. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Moreno's proclamations aside, the Angels sure seem like a likely player. Big market, good team, laid-back (relatively) West Coast vibe. And they're going to be under some pressure to sign a big bat this winter after the trouncing they took from the Red Sox.
    If he leaves New York (big if), I'd bet on Anaheim or San Fran.

6. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Frankly, I still don't see him opting out. Call me crazy, but I think this is all set up for Boras to make a bunch of noise about him opting out when there's no plan to do it. A-Rod will then re-up with the Yankees, becoming the "good guy" that stuck with New York when his agent wanted him to opt out.

At the end of the day, where's the windfall coming from? If the Angels aren't in, who's going to cough up the coin it's going to take? Especially if the Yankees aren't in it.

7. markvid

markvid Guest

I think that's why they dumped Barry's money.

8. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Klapisch:

9. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

God I hope he's wrong.

10. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

The Cubs are going to make at least one big move this offseason — A-Rod, Santana, Andruw Jones ... someone.

A-Rod would be sweet. Wow, that would be the best infield in baseball by a country mile.

11. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I'm ready to say fuck A-Rod.

12. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Not sure about the "country mile" part:

Howard, Utley, Rollins, 3B is pretty damn stout. Wouldn't be as good, but I think it wouldn't be THAT far off.

Put Soriano back at 2nd with ARod at SS and you've got it by two country miles.

Draft saved Draft deleted