1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A-Rod Agonistes

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jgmacg, Oct 9, 2007.

?

A-Rod: Stay or Go?

1. Stays

9 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Goes

18 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I was just going to say that. Out with one king, in with a new one.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Cuban will NEVER, EVER be allowed into baseball's ownership club but that doesn't necessarily mean A-Rod wouldn't consider the Cubs.

If I had to bet, I'd say he picks up the option on his current deal (to which the Rangers contribute), the Yankees extend it another seven years, $200 million-plus, and he breaks Barry Bonds record wearing pinstripes. Other potential suitors: Angels, Dodgers, Cubs

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I think he is staying. Very few teams can afford to pay what he is asking for. It boils down to the Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs, Dodgers, Angels and Mets, really. The Mets are set at short and third, or else I could see Minaya going for it. The Red Sox could do it, but my guess is that they will be gun shy, and even if they come to the table, the Yankees will be willing to fork up more money to see that Boston doesn't steal the player and the headline. ARod would make great sense as an Angel, and I actually think he would consider going there, but the owner has already made it clear that he is not going to spend a quarter of his payroll on just one player. And I believe him, just because of the way he said it. The Cubs ownership situation is not getting settled before next season, and the Trib is not going to saddle the team with a contract like that, to throw any monkeys in the wrench. The Dodgers actually make great sense. They are going to be out shopping for a power hitter and will have an opening at third base this offseason. This is just a gut feeling, though, and I don't see it happening. ARod in a Dodgers uniform just doesn't seem right and I can't say exactly why other than I just don't see it. Which leaves the Yankees by default. They wouldn't have been in the playoffs this year without him, and they know it. They may not screw around on this and give any other teams a chance to make a serious bid. I wouldn't be surprised if Boras just names a price and the Yankees smartly meet it before a bidding war starts.

4. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

I don't think the Red Sox will even make a bid on A-Rod. I'm guessing they'll re-sign Lowell.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I'd bet the Red Sox resign Lowell with 90 percent certainty. They have already made it sound like they are going to. But I would have imagined if they make a play for ARod, it would be to replace Julio Lugo at short, who has been a disappointment.

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

The only deal that makes financial sense is the Yankees extending A-Rod while getting $30M free from the Rangers. Once A-Rod opts out that money is gone. I think the Giants are willing to commit 25% of their payroll to one guy; they did it before with Bonds. Its eerie that they got Bonds right when he was in his prime (30) and now A-Rod could be available at the same time (31?). The biggest factor is that this is a free agent that only costs $$ and not a trade.

7. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

The AP story this morning has Cuban promising to sit in the bleachers if he buys the Cubs. (Ha!)It also says there are strong competitors for the purchase, and that it probably won't be completed before mid-2008.

I agree that the owners would be resistant to Cuban, but the M's had a majority owner for years who still hasn't attended a major league baseball game--Nintendo money is stronger than ever these days, by the way--so I can't be as positive as you about this one.

I guess I was on a fishing expedition implying that Cuban might be able to wrap it up quickly. But, stranger things have happened.

8. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

And, qtlaw, how easy is it to hit homers in the Giants' ballpark? That will surely be one of the decisive factors as to where A-Rod winds up.

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I think he stays.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Angels are the logical spot . . . but if he could actually get a PIECE of the Cubs, look out.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I'd eliminate the Red Sox -- I think they'll re-sign Lowell -- and the Mets -- who I think will get Santana.

That leaves what, the Angels, Cubs, and maybe Dodgers.

Slim pickings when you're making that kind of money and you don't pitch. But I'd say a tossup between the Angels and Cubs.

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Apparently, a player can be an owner of a team, though I can't see how they can prohibit a player from acquiring stock in a publicly held corporation that owns a team.

Draft saved Draft deleted