1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A-Rod Agonistes

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jgmacg, Oct 9, 2007.

?

A-Rod: Stay or Go?

1. Stays

9 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Goes

18 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

I'm sure it's been addressed somewhere on the eleventeen Torre threads, but will A-Rod now depart for greener pastures?

If so, where?

Why?

And for how much?

I await word from our experts on the baseball.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Goes to whomever offers him between $25-30 million per season, so either the Red Sox, Angels or Cubs. He won't stay in New York.

3. Pittsburgh Pirates, come on down!

4. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

I'd say the Angels. Arte Moreno still wants to make a big splash, and they need help in that lineup and a third baseman.

5. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

They'll be fighting the KC Royals for his services.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Dodgers.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

I'm going to go out on a limb and say he stays in New York ...

but maybe not the Bronx

8. doctor x

doctor x Member

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I say he stays.

First off, he's got to start thinking about his legacy. Does he want to be the kind of player that nobody identifies him with specific team? A "homeless" Hall of Famer, as they say?

There are only a couple of reasons for him to leave. A) Money B) to win a ring or C) to get away from the media crush of NYC.
    Well, he's made a ton of money already and will make a ton from the Yankees should he decide to stay. I don't think money will be the decisive factor here.
    There isn't a team in baseball that will give the same opportunity to win a ring year in and year out the way the Yankees do, other than perhaps Boston.
    To that end, if he's leaving to get away from the media crush and expectations heaped on him in NYC, he knows Boston won't be any better, so he won't be going there. He could go to LA or Chicago to get out from under that weight, but he won't be as likely to win a ring in either city and I think that is going to be his primary concern from here on out.

There is also his ego to consider. Does he really want to leave and admit to failing in NYC? Does he want to risk leaving and then watching the Yankees go out and win a title without him?

There is always the Scott Boras factor, but A-Rod's a grown-ass man and ultimately, I think he'll do what's best for his legacy. His wallet will get fatter either way.

10. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

How about the Giants? He could be the new chaser of the HR record.

11. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I think ARod signs with the Cubs.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I think he's gone as part of the house-cleaning that will leave Wil Nieves as the catcher and Joba Chamberlain as the closer.

Draft saved Draft deleted