1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A road trip... need advice, gang.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by audreyld, Mar 13, 2007.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I like West Texas because of its open endless areas. While there isn't any scenery in the traditional sense, I do like looking at all the oil things and the ability to see for as far as the eye can see.
    But I also understand how it could drive a person crazy.

2. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Not all of West Texas looks like Midland.
    [​IMG]

3. If you take the I-40 route, let me know, UT. I'll buy you a beer.

4. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I, also, would happily supply a frosty beverage should you be on the I-40 route. Sadly, I no longer live on US 90 (yes, I lived right on US 90 at one point).

5. audreyld

audreyld Guest

We could plan a trip awfully quickly with posts like these... :D

And I'd have done the inviting, but I'm sure I'm far less interesting than our esteemed Mr. Jones.

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Any trip to Memphis MUST include a trip down 61 to the Delta. A stop at Ground Zero in Clarksdale can't be beat.

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

World's largest ball of twine. Someplace in Iowa. There's a huge frying pan and a carp museum someplace in the Midwest, too.

Geographical center of North America, Rugby, N.D. The official middle of nowhere.

Geographical center of the US, near Buffalo, S.D. The JV middle of nowhere.

The Boner Ranch, near Lusk, Wyo. (it's true, you can look it up).

On a serious note, the faces at Mt. Rushmore sound touristy, and they are, but they have to be seen to be appreciated. The nearby Hill City brew pub makes the trip worthwhile, and the 1880s train ride there through the Black Hills is worthwhile as well.

And Theodore Roosevelt NP, the North Dakota Badlands, are unbelievable, the north unit especially. Much more scenic and colorful than the South Dakota Badlands. Plus you can stop at the Long X tavern on US 85 near Grassy Butte midway between the North and South units of the park.

Little Big Horn National Battlefield Park in Montana is worth a stop. If you're starting in DC then head up 270 and US 15 to Gettysburg, or head west to Antietim. Two of the best Civil War battlefields.

8. audreyld

audreyld Guest

I definitely want to do Gettysburg. That's a huge one.

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

If you're doing Gettysburg and leaving from D.C., I'm sure you also have an excursion to Baltimore planned at some point. Inner Harbor rocks.

10. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

After Gettysburg and the Inner Harbor you should also go to:
    Philadelphia (ton of historical sites there)
    Atlantic City (if you want to do some gambling otherwise pass on it)
    Trenton (one of the smallest cities still supporting two daily newspapers, the Class AA Trenton Thunder- Waterfront Park is a great place to see a game; plus the Trenton-Princeton area has a bunch of Revoluationary War sites)
    New York City
    Cooperstown (everyone should visit the Baseball Hall of Fame at least once in their life)
    then back across New York and Connecticut and drive up the New England coastline.. with stops in Cape Cod and Boston

11. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

dude, you just told a guy to go visit Trenton.

12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Is the "ROASTED NUTS" headline on display somewhere?

Draft saved Draft deleted