1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A road trip... need advice, gang.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by audreyld, Mar 13, 2007.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

If you've never been west, then hit the west -- it's like a whole 'nother country out here. :)

Here's one travelin' man's suggestion:

Start from D.C., go south through the Appys on I-85, through Richmond, Charlotte, Atlanta, make your down to I-10 (either through Montgomery and Mobile on I-20/65 or through Georgia on I-75).

Then head west on I-10. Hit Biloxi, New Orleans, Houston, S.A. Riverwalk (then make that excruciating drive from San Antone to El Paso ::)), Tucson and Phoenix. Then up to the Canyon, then up to Vegas.

Then back down to Flagstaff and start taking I-40 back east. Hit ABQ, OKC, Little Rock, Memphis, Nashville, Knoxville, the N.C. triangle, and back up to D.C.

Helluva way to spend a summer, IMO.

2. audreyld

audreyld Guest

I like that. A lot.

Though I could do without OKC - Nashville. Well, a visit to the fam in OKC would be nice, actually.

The trip has to end in Austin, though.

3. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

If you're going to rent an RV, then a must-stop is, of course, the RV Museum:

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/attract/INELKrvhof.html

4. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Re: San Antonio to EL Paso on I-10 problem:

Take U.S. 90 from San Antonio to Van Horn. Go across the border at Del Rio for a little fun in old Mexico, then on to Sanderson. Marathon, Texas. Alpine, Texas. Marfa, Texas. Big Bend National Park. Fuck I-10. Except for Balmorhea. :)

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Wish you'da told me that before I made my I-10 trips. But then, I was in a rush. :D

6. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Actually, taking US 90 all the way across wouldn't be a bad idea.

"The Route 66 of the South"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_90

Don't bother with the Mexican restaurant in Van Horn that's semi-famous because of John Madden. It sucks. Strangely, there really isn't any good Mexican food between Del Rio and El Paso. There's a hell of a German restaurant and brew-pub at the old hotel in Alpine, though.

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I've been told that Chuy's - the Madden restaurant is overrated - and Tony's is the place to eat in Van Horn.
    And BuckW, the drive between San Antonio and El Paso isn't as bad as it used to be because it is 80 mph now.

8. One more piece of advice:

Make sure you understand the Nest Egg Principle.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Still an awful drive, Angola. Got caught doing 80 in a 55 zone near Ft. Stockton. Got caught doing 76 in a 55 near Balmorrhea. Got warned for a busted tail light near a sign for Junction :)D) and another for Kerrville, on the same fucking trip. Motherfucker, give me time to fix it! :mad:

Despise, despise, despise Texas troopers, and that fucking stretch of highway.

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

New England coastline. Cape Cod. Maine. Cape Ann. Newport. Portsmouth/Kittery.

11. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I strongly advise against driving across West Texas, regardless of the road.

Some drives you enjoy because the scenery is nice. Not that one.

12. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Thanks for inviting us for drinks like Jones. No. Really. Whatever.

Draft saved Draft deleted