1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Return to Virginity

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Jun 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I think that would be more constructive than singling out a religion, directly or indirectly, for being uniquely misogynistic.

Rescuing women from their oppressors has been one of the arguments used to justify this war. The British trumpeted similar bullshit when they invaded and occupied Egypt in the late 19th century.

This Christian was a known champion of women's rights. Not.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. T2

T2 Member

Most people in this Christian nation don't realize this, but if a groom complains that his bride turned out not to be a virgin, she must be killed. However, if her parents can produce the blood-stained sheet from the wedding night, she remains his wife forever and he merely has to pay a fine for the slander. That's according to the Holy Scriptures.

"If any man take a wife, and go in unto her, and hate her, and give occasions of speech against her, and bring up an evil name upon her, and say, I took this woman, and when I came to her, I found her not a maid: then shall the father of the damsel, and her mother, take and bring forth the tokens of the damsel's virginity unto the elders of the city in the gate: and the damsel's father shall say unto the elders, I gave my daughter unto this man to wife, and he hateth her; and lo, he hath given occasions of speech against her, saying, I found not thy daughter a maid; and yet these are the tokens of my daughter's virginity. And they shall spread the cloth before the elders of the city. And the elders of that city shall take that man and chastise him; and they shall amerce him in an hundred shekels of silver, and give them unto the father of the damsel, because he hath brought up an evil name upon a virgin of Israel: and she shall be his wife; he may not put her away all his days. But if this thing be true, and the tokens of virginity be not found for the damsel: then they shall bring out the damsel to the door of her father's house, and the men of her city shall stone her with stones that she die: because she hath wrought folly in Israel, to play the whore in her father's house: so shalt thou put evil away from among you." Deuteronomy 22:13-21

3. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Well, why didn't you just say so? It's fine, then.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Most people who aren't Christians don't realize that, when Christ fulfilled Old Testament law, such a thing was no longer necessary. Just as Christ nixed Kosher laws, so too this. Thanks, though.

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

If we went by ALL the laws of the Old Testament, half this nation would be dead.

6. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

7. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

There is nothing more silly than when some atheist/non-christian/agnostic/skeptic-type resorts to the "oh yeah, oh yeah -- well according to the bible......" then comes up with some passage, almost always out-of-context and from one of the books which contain Old Testament law which they clearly don't understand or understand why, to quote a now-vanquished LIB, That's JUST DIFFERENT!!!

8. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

That sentence almost made sense. And it almost had correct punctuation.

9. StevieNicks

StevieNicks Member

No, it really didn't. The premise of the person's argument is flawed as hell.

10. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Guess I should have put that in blue.

11. StevieNicks

StevieNicks Member

Good point.

12. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Jesus was incredibly magnanimous in sweeping away only the regulations that would have been inconvenient for those proclaiming the inerrancy of the Bible while leaving intact, oh say, the proscriptions on homosexuality.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.