1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Return to Virginity

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Jun 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Sitting in the last pew, closest to the exit.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

I prefer Return to the Planet of the Apes, myself.

3. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

I was always a fan of the Kinks' "Return to Waterloo."

4. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

"Doctor, my hallway has been visited by at least one hot dog..."

5. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

At the risk of quoting Lennon, if we could ever reach a point where the people of the world operated out of their personal ideas of right and wrong, rather than religion, we could actually get somewhere.

6. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

A mishmash of thoughts from my post, which happens to be in Morocco:

I've heard of this surgery before, but in the U.S. It's not something new.

Being "Muslim" can be like being "Jewish." You're born into it, whether or not you follow its principles. (My boss here, obviously, is Muslim by birth, but he doesn't pray and drinks and smokes. His brother is a bartender in Agadir.)

Many young women are still forced into marriage, mostly to older men. Men are expected to visit prostitutes and that's OK, but women aren't allowed. But the men expect to marry virgins.

Unfortunately -- and a group of fellow Peace Corps volunteers were talking about this last week -- the young women are fair bait for their male relatives.

Sheets held up to view? Yes. Another volunteer told me about a wedding he'd been to. A teen bride with a 30-something husband. They met a day or so before the arranged wedding. After the wedding, the groom emerges from the honeymoon chamber and to the feast. Seeing him, the attendants get up and go into the bedroom, doing this really loud yell thing they do while parading around the bride, who's sitting in blood-stained bed.

Times are changing, and the king has passed a women's rights-law. However, cultures are hard to change, especially in the old-school country. The larger cities are far more liberal, but I'd suspect women who have left their small cities for places like Casa and Rabat still feel the family pressure.

Families here are much closer than any I've been to in the States. Although everyone has a relative in France, there are usually married brothers or sisters with families living with parents. I definitely see how family pressure would encourage a woman to do it.

7. StevieNicks

StevieNicks Member

I always thought of you as an ass-man.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Why the frick ask why? Merely nod and go "uh-huh"

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Seems like a lot of trouble to go back to a society that wants you to walk around with a bag on your head .

10. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

....With a CC of this information to me, too, please. :)

11. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

But seriously....Isn't this the medical equivalent of Christians who become "Re-born Virgins" -- the difference being that, somehow, becoming a new being in Christ erased past sexual "error" so that you can save yourself for the one God wants you to spend the rest of time with?

I think the "re-born virgin" idea fits under a "nice try," but it is rediculous. This is almost as bad.

12. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

It's breathtakingly draconian and sexist.

Seriously, whatthefuck!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.