1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Return to Virginity

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Jun 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Yet another a shining example of Muslim culture.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/11/world/europe/11virgin.html?pagewanted=1&ei=5087&em&en=7e3715da3237218a&ex=1213329600

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So many possible punch lines that I'm speechless.

3. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

No. I think they are only putting one in place.

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I don't get it.

Either you are a virgin or not.

And Mohammed knows.

Or, are they saying a surgeon can fool Mohammed?

5. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

It's awful. I don't agree with it, and I will never understand it. But I also don't sit in judgement and insult an entire religion.

6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

It does seem a bit odd that these women will willingly lie to their future husband to be by getting a surgery like this. Never mind the way it flouts their religious beliefs in the first place.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The story makes it sound like the sex act is the climax, so to speak, of the wedding for both the couple and the family. Does the bride come out and hold up the bloody sheets for everyone to see?
    Instead of a garter or bouquet, do Islamic brides toss a used condom over their shoulder?

8. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Are the girls getting the surgery virgins? Just... loose ones?

9. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Yet another model of Christian charity and understanding.

That whole Least of My Brothers thing must've really sunk in.

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

It's a big deal to get married not as a virgin in the Muslim culture. It's also bad to get divorced, but obviously those things happen all the time.

11. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I know that. But wouldn't it be equally a big deal to lose your virginity, regain it and lie about it to your spouse? Big, at least from a moral perspective.

12. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I bet there are plenty of good girls here in the U.S. who forget about certain events in their lives if virginity is important to their potential husbands. That said, those potential husbands probably don't ask for the V card from the doctor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.