1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Resource Clearinghouse For Those Who Need It

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by forever_town, May 18, 2009.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Seeing the thread about editorhoo's untimely death reminded me about my state's program of mobile health clinics for uninsured and underinsured citizens. The program is called the Governor's Wellmobile and is run through the state university's school of nursing.

The mobile clinics (think of a local clinic inside a big vehicle like a Winnebago) go around to several locations through my county several days per week. People can get all the basic medical care they need and can get referrals for more serious medical conditions. The program has four Wellmobiles that go to four different regions throughout the state.

If possible, I'd like this thread to become a clearinghouse for similar programs in other states and provinces. It doesn't just have to be health care, but if there are programs that can help those who are struggling like I have been, I'd like to see them here.

If this thread can help even one person find help he or she didn't know was there, I'd be happy.

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

don't think my state has anything like this.

but the hospital my mom used to work for has this program called wellness on wheels. it's a big rv that travels around the region, but i'm not sure how far it goes.

3. I Digress

I Digress Guest

The thing to keep in mind, there are options. If you've never needed them, you may not know they exist. If in doubt, make some phone calls. And if you're out of work with no insurance, you might even qualify for medicaid or something. There are options. Explore them.

4. forever_town

If you have less than $2,000 in assets and you're not living with someone else who has money (such as a wife, girlfriend, husband, boyfriend), you'll be eligible for food stamps.

Actually, even though I live with my folks, I was *still* eligible for food stamps. The key in my case was that I rarely ate at home while I was working at my previous gig. I think that's why I was able to get food stamps no matter what my folks made. And since my situation was really dire, the county's Social Services department expedited my getting food stamps. I got my EBT card in less than a week.

5. forever_town

I typed the term "low income help" into Teh Google and found this Web site. Looks like it covers a lot of areas.

One free service that really benefited me was my state's Legal Aid Bureau. It provides low-cost or no-cost attorneys for people who need them for a variety of reasons.

6. forever_town

7. forever_town

Draft saved Draft deleted