1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

a reporter's reporter

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by henryhenry, Nov 7, 2006.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I agree.

You should read his blog on the exotic dancer interview.

2. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Huh?

3. jmac, leave boom alone. he's smart sometimes and then other times he can't follow simple logic.

boom: the guy isn't debating the nba. he's asking questions about journalism. jmac has a deep interest in journalism, the good and the bad.

jmac, there was nothing wrong with your question. it's a reflex reaction for some whenever race is brought up in a way that makes them uncomfortable they throw down the "race card" cliche.

4. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

The anecdote of the blonde screams to me of a Jayson Blair/Mitch Albom lede of convenience. Maybe the Oregonian was happy with the sourcing on this, but in today's newspaper world the notion of a reader simply trusting the paper to be rock-solid in this regard is obsolete. It read as if it were made up.

5. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

He's been dogging me on this thread, but you're right. I think it'll be best if I just don't respond for a while.

6. awriter

awriter Active Member

Why would you criticize him for being a watchdog? Isn't that a basic part of our job?

7. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

I didn't criticize him for anything. The quotes around "watchdog" are unironic. I put the word in quotes because it was used in the interview. Sorry if that gave the wrong impression.

8. awriter

awriter Active Member

The problem is there is absolutely no evidence -- none -- to suggest that Canzano is a racist.

9. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

selena roberts wrote about a clemson booster club last year - using the figures obtained from the club's public filing -

not a lot of sportswriters are comfortable with public records - and i don't mean reverse phone directories -

10. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

There really is no "problem." Please note - yet again - that the question I asked, as an aside, and defined as "rhetorical," was phrased very carefully, and in no way states, hints or indicates that I was talking about Canzano. I was asking if anyone shared my discomfort about "stories like these."

11. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Solid and true responses by Canzano. Great interview.

12. no one came close to calling canzano racist. not even close.

now i am calling this post of yours simple-minded, but that doesn't mean you're simple-minded. you follow?

Draft saved Draft deleted