1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

a reporter's reporter

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by henryhenry, Nov 7, 2006.

1. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

John Canzano on public records - required reading

http://www.sportsmediaguide.com/11062006-JohnCanzano.html

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Wow. That's great stuff...

I try to read Canzano as much as possible, but that interview made it clear I still don't read him nearly enough...

3. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Does he have a book coming out? A movie? We seem to be hosting several thread's worth of hot Canzano on Canzano action this week.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I am boycotting the SportsMediaGuide until it changes its hard-to-read faux stationary background.

5. Leo Mazzone

Leo Mazzone Member

I concur.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Interesting interview.

The community watchdog. We know where the bodies are buried. And where the milkshakes are bought!

Especially enjoyed the logic that a sports columnist serves as a mouthpiece for prosecutors who don't have enough evidence for a trial. That approach worked so well in the first few months of the Duke lacrosse scandal and the entirety of the Kobe trial.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Love that website. Excellent interview. Canzano's nugget about the vixen flown in by a Lakers player and working the hotel was damn good. One of those that you say "how did he get that?" But reading the rest of the interview it's obvious he is incredibly well-connected.

8. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

An interesting read, but the public records searches he talks about are pretty basic stuff. Anybody with half a brain and the right computer program would be able to track down that guys' daughter.

EDIT: but let me add that, as others have noted, he seems incredibly well-connected. Have never been to portland, but I imagine it is like other pro cities its size: an athlete can't sneeze in town without somebody noticing. Like Canzano said, they get tons of phone calls from people who simply saw players out for a drink.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I had a similar situation where I had spoken to a relative of an athlete and one of my editors said, "Wow, how'd you track him down?"

I just smiled and laughed.

I got the number from the phone book...

10. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

That's where you wink and smile and say "I have my ways."

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I just want to get this right...a reporter's reporter is the guy who navigates his way through the grapevine to tell the story of Blonde Q. Slut's trip through revolving hotel doors...because that's what Joe Fan and kids demand!

Sorry, folks, but there is a chasm between what people want or need to know about sports, and what journalists feel compelled -for the community's sake, of course - to pursue as news.

12. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

there's a chasm between self-righteous fulminating and logic. the "twisted" behavior of athletes is a consumer issue and a community issue.

Draft saved Draft deleted