1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A remarkable story

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Neutral Corner, Dec 17, 2018.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Those of you who read science-fiction may know the some of the works of Spider Robinson. Now 70, he came out of New York in the mid-1970's and was dubbed "the New Heinlein", which in that field is similar to a musician getting called "the New Dylan", a very weighty thing to have to drag around. I've been reading him since around '77 or so.

Anyhow, skipping all the how I got there in the interest of brevity, I'd like to share a story I just found on his website. This column is basically random items that he found interesting enough to write about.

I had never heard of Beate Sirota, and I found this story rather amazing. I hope you find as interesting a bit of history as I did.

I doubt that there will be any new posts anytime soon, as these seem infrequent, but it is currently the top entry, #13. The story is told in Spider's words. I'm also including a link to her Wikipedia page.

Spider Robinson: Online Diary

Beate Sirota Gordon - Wikipedia

maumann and Vombatus like this.
  2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

NC,

Thanks for sharing that.

Her linguistic abilities alone in so many diverse languages were outstanding.

And, Yoko Ono. General MacArthur. That’s a rather wide range.

Still haven’t reached the 100th anniversary of women’s right to vote in the US. Great to see her huge influence on postwar Japan.

Happy holidays, NC!

VB

Neutral Corner likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted