1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A religious and philosophical question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hockeybeat, Jan 30, 2008.

1. So I shouldn't worry about you, then? :)

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

The short answer is that free will is a key element of Catholicism.
    Of course, one could wonder about possible conflicts between the Catholic god's all-knowing/all-powerful nature and its all-good nature.
    That path leads to a lot of doubt, but it also leads to interesting concepts such as the felix culpa and others.

3. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

No, no reason to worry about me.

Ya know, I barely studied in my philosophy classes. Now, I'm spending time thinking like I'm Descartes.

4. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Great, now I worship Mike Bickle as my Lord and Savior.
    Thanks, dude. Thanks.

5. Where are the pancakes?

6. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

We need to hustle up some actual Catholic theologians hereabouts. But suicide is a mortal sin in that faith. 2nd ring, 7th circle of Hell, per Dante.

And "God's Will" isn't the same as pre-destination or pre-determination. Nor does God's Will negate sin.

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Nah, this guy I'm talking about isn't Mike Bickle. Same first name though. I scanned the website for a moment but couldn't come up with him. This guy I'm talking about thinks he's going to the middle east and converting everyone. I wish he'd leave his wife at home, because once this guy is killed she'll snap out of it, and probably want to express her independence in ways that I'd love to be a part of.

8. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

If I can remember my St. Augustine, he says that humans have free will, but our free will is given to us by God.

And I lost my train of thought, so I'm just going to shut up now.

9. you've been reported to the Vatican and crusaders are on the way for you.

10. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I'm not a big fan of Augustine, but I think he was guessing right on that one. I also think it's important to consider that God doesn't experience time in a linear fashion the way material beings do. Being stuck in the present with the past behind and the future ahead is a limitation that we experience in this life, just as we're limited to three dimensions of physicality. That's relevant to wondering what our free choices look like from the divine perspective, I think.

11. Ya know, given mike's well-publicized drought, I believe he should have dibs.

12. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

More of a St. Anselm guy?

Draft saved Draft deleted