1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A religious and philosophical question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hockeybeat, Jan 30, 2008.

1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I had some time to think yesterday, while taking a train to a job interview. I began to think about the Catholic Church's stance on suicide when my mom called. We talked about a number of topics and she said, "Whatever is God's will, whatever is meant to be is meant to be."

After hanging up, I thought about what she said and I began to wonder. The Catholic Church decries suicide, calling it a sin. But if God's will rules everything, then suicide cannot be a sin. There is no free will, and by that logic it cannot be a sin?

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Logic has no place in organized religion.

3. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

So religion was created by women?

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The Catholic Church says there is no free will? They why do you have to confess? Why not just blame God?

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

"It was God's will" might be the most convenient excuse ever devised by people seeking to evade responsibility for their actions.

6. We have a winner

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Nah. It's a tie with "The Devil made me do it!"

8. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

A guy I used to know back in the day through some church type stuff has become a crazed, future cult leader. And when I say that it comes with no exageration. None at all. His group's website is www.ihop.org. That also is not a joke.

Anyway he goes on to marry a girl who grew up two doors down. She is easily one of the hottest women on the planet. She was also super sweet back in the day, but absolutely gorgeous in the "she could date pro-athletes" if she wanted to way. Anyway, while they were building their misogynistic, cult-like church here (it didn't quite take off, imagine that) dude would lay on his mother-in-law's couch "talking to the lord" all day, and by that he should have just said what it was and that he was napping. Doing chores around the house, perhaps mowing the lawn? Well, after two hours of napp-errr, talking to the lord, he decided God didn't want him mowing the lawn.

They live in Kansas City now. When they were over here, he made up a list of demands for his mother-in-law (who is nice as hell, quite a flake, but completely harmless) including how their kids can't watch any TV, nonsense like that. When she didn't bend over backwards for that twat, he decided after one night that God wanted them to stay at his sister's place. But apparently God also wants his MIL to clean up this house they're trying to sell over here too.

So how much does God interact in our lives? Well, if you're this future Jim Jones, quite a lot. And all you need to do is lay your worthless ass on the couch all day and be filled with the spirit, which apparently can only come through a good afternoon nap. Unless you take your nap in the morning after you just woke up. Then it can happen then too.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Actually, Catholicism contends that god is all-knowing and all-powerful, but it also contends that there is free will.
    One could argue that the Catholic god knows someone will commit suicide, but that is not the same as saying the Catholic god wants someone to commit suicide.
    Catholicism encompasses the concept of sin - thoughts and actions that are contrary to the will of god.

10. hockeybeat, not to get too personal, but why were you thinking about this?

11. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Not that I disagree, but I'll throw this fly into the ointment: Where does it say that God considers suicide a sin? It only is if you truly equate suicide to killing.

12. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Honestly? I was thinking about the Bob Ryan thread on JTO, and what a tragedy his loss was. Then my mom called and I began to wonder about free will versus God's will and what it all means in the grand scheme of things.

Draft saved Draft deleted