1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A reason to escape journalism...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by forever_town, Nov 28, 2010.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Oh, I know about all of that. I have previous call center experience so I'm familiar with what I was getting myself into before I interviewed for the position.

I'm working today on what would normally be my Sunday in an effort to get some overtime in there. It's the first time since I actually hit the floor that I've worked OT. And yes, I've already gotten some of my calls evaluated by the quality folks and by my manager.

I know call center work's not for everybody. Hell, based on my last experience with call center work, I was a bit nervous about getting back in because that environment was really soul-sapping. This environment feels so much better from the top on down.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I experienced this when I got out of the biz at the beginning of the year.

I came in with Staples catalog on my desk with instructions of: order anything you need. My manager took me to lunch on my first day and the next day they sent me home with a bunch of company stuff: polos and other crap. But still, it was an interesting change of pace.

3. forever_town

After five months with the company, I now have my first raise.

Granted, it isn't much, just a few cents per hour. But still, that on top of getting gift cards as shows of appreciation when I do well AND getting positive feedback from my manager after other folks at a meeting heard one of my calls definitely makes up for the small size of the raise.

I made the observation earlier this week that I don't miss journalism. I definitely do not feel any desire to get back into the business the way I thought I would just three months in. Now when I look back on my newspapering days, I think of an old saying: "Living well is the best revenge."

4. leo1

leo1 Active Member

congrats on the raise. here's hoping they don't outsource you call center to mumbai anytime soon.

5. ChrisRcc

ChrisRcc Member

I left journalism when I realized (fortunately, while in high school) that I'd rather spend my nights with people I care about rather than with coaches who I couldn't care less about. Can't say I regret my decision.

6. forever_town

Update 2:

Nine months in and I got official word that I've been promoted effective July 1.

When I first started, I was told the company put more stock in performance than seniority. I got proved right. Journalism this definitely ain't.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

8. doctorx

doctorx Member

Raise? What's that? You make it sound like a good thing, so congratulations.

Draft saved Draft deleted