1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A really bad week for Elvis

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Mariah Carey notched her 18th No. 1 hit this week to pass Elvis for No. 2 on the Billboard singles charts.

Carey is now only two behind the Beatles for the all-time record.

Not only that, but Madonna's "4 Minutes" this week became her 37th Top 10 hit to pass Elvis for the most in chart history.

(The sad thing is, I couldn't tell you any of Carey's hits since oh, say, 1994. And only a few of Madonna's. Modern pop music sucks.)
  2. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Oh, and he's still dead...
  3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

The King is dead, but he's not forgotten.
  4. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I'm with you on Carey's #1 song portfolio--a forgettable, if not unknown, list.

But, the promotional photo for her latest is simply smokin'. Elvis never could offer up something like that--thank god.

5. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

Not wishing to hijack, but this touches on something I've wondered about. My "wonder years" were the 60s. I can still remember the Beatles on Ed Sullivan, etc., and the music of that generation still seems to resonate even now.

Was that a special era for pop/rock music, or was it special for me just because it was the era in which I grew up? I'm really out of the loop now and haven't heard of hardly any of the artists/groups. But I wonder if forty years from now today's music will have the same impact that the 60s music has now?
  6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The problem is, what IS pop music these days?

Old-fashioned Top 40 radio is dead. You've got classic rock, rap, R&B, modern rock, oldies, standards, adult contemporary, classical, easy-listening, jazz, soft rock, Nashville country, Texas country, disco and electronica. Throw in norteno, Tejano and reggaeton for the Latin crowd. And those are just the music stations.

Old-school Top 40 brought the best of all genres together. You don't hear that anymore. The closest is the "Jack" format, but it's mostly 80s and 90s hits. There are stations that bill themselves as "Top 40" but they pretty much just play Matchbox 20 on a loop.
  7. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

GuessWho--here's a thread that touches on your question. Some good posts and musical suggestions from those a bit more in tune with today's music than you or me.

8. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Remember what Tommy Lee Jones explained to Will Smith while driving upside down through the tunnel: Elvis isn't dead, he just went back home.
  9. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

When people visit Mariah Carey's house religiously 30 years after her death, and change the landscape of music and American culture, we can mention her in the same breath as the king.

And I could have swore Elvis had 18 No. 1s also:

1. Heartbreak Hotel
    2. I Want You, I Need You, I Love You
    3. Hound Dog
    4. Don't Be Cruel
    5. Love Me Tender
    6. Too Much
    7. All Shook Up
    8. Teddy Bear
    9. Jailhouse Rock
    10. Don't
    11. Hard Headed Woman
    12. A Big Hunk of Love
    13. Stuck on You
    14. It's Now or Never
    15. Are You Lonesome Tonight?
    16. Surrender
    17. Good Luck Charm
    18. Suspicious Minds

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

He's working at a Stuckey's outside Peoria.
  11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Of Carey's songs, I can't name any since Vision of Love, which was popular when I was in high school, about 18 years ago...

I am very proud of this... :D
  12. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I'd be lucky if I could name more than three hit songs by Elvis. Of course, I'd be lucky to name that many Mariah Carey songs or that many Madonna songs done since the mid- to late-1990s.
Draft saved Draft deleted