1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A real bracket buster: 96-team NCAA tourney?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by I Should Coco, Feb 2, 2010.

1. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

THIS.

There is nothing worse than seeing the champ of some crap nothing conference play a no. 2 seed and lose by 15 and get celebrated like it won a national championship.

2. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I despise this idea. 64 was the perfect number for it. Adding that extra "play in" game a couple years ago was unnecessary and dumb, and this would be immeasurably worse.

Teams that finish near the bottom of their conference have no business playing the post season tourney to determine that national champion, and that's exactly what we'll see with a 96 team field. The regular season will be near meaningless.

But, sadly, the suits making money off it don't give a shit what I think.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

When, exactly, does THAT happen?

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

The only way I would like an expanded tournament is if it meant the regular-season champions of the small conference earned automatic entry.

5. AgatePage

AgatePage Active Member

This is exactly how it works if you apply for a site early via the NCAA "lottery". We've been doing it for 13 years now. If you're applying early, you're wanting to watch the basketball no matter who's there. You can also buy per-session tickets at the gate if there are any available.

And as far as sold out -- usually 6 out of the 8 sites every year are. Then there are places like Miami last season, where there probably weren't 4,000 fans at the arena, which is what happens when you send both Arizona schools, Utah, Wake Forest and Syracuse that far from their home bases. It was horrific attendance. Stephen F. Austin had exactly 38 people in their section.

(edit: You also don't sit in the arena all day. You are shuttled out between games 2 and 3 for a couple hours. Then it's a mad-house in the arena district for seating at a bar/restaurant and watching other games until yours restart)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't want to see it. I have trouble fitting legal paper into the office copier. Stick with 64.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Or we could divide Division I into haves and have-nots, subdivide the top half into have-littles and have-lots, scrap the tournament, and play 36 basketball games the month of March with the big one in early April.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

But . . . but . . . it's ALL about the coaches.

Dickie V. says so.

Clearly, you didn't get the memo.

Regrets.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Of course.

Like I said earlier. This isn't about the student-athletes. Who cares if they miss more class time!

10. urgrad2004

urgrad2004 Member

What was Arizona ranked in the PAC 10 in '97 when they won it all?

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

To play Devil's advocate...

Is this the same arguement that would have been heard when baseball did the wild card?

I really like Cosmo's idea of regular season champs also getting into the Tourney no matter the size of the conference.

On the down side, if you don't trip over your prick in the ACC, you are basically in.

Do you not allow teams with losing conference records in uless they win their conference tourney?

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I guess you can shoehorn in the 16 play-in games at four sites (Dayton being one of them) and keep the 64 format. But basically you're taking 32 NIT teams and adding them to the tournament. Yuck.

Draft saved Draft deleted