1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A reader e-mail that irks me...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jay Sherman, Sep 8, 2008.

1. That's why I usually take so long to respond to your posts.

2. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Good one.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

It takes you 24 hours to call me an idiot?

4. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I think he was talking to me.

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Oh.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

dear sir - boarding a school bus in order to participate in a cross country meet is not news. being on a team, especially cross country, is not news. and having a heart is not news.

reporter jay
    the daily bugle

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I'll say it again. Kent Benson tried hard in the NBA too. Did that make him any good?

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

worked so hard it split his teeth.

[​IMG]

9. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I agree with this. If it were a profanity-laced tirade, I'd ignore it. But this guy took several minutes of his day to write you and give detailed feedback about your coverage of the team.

And for a response to this, I really recommend you not write something flippant or snarky in response. If all you can write sincerely is "Thank you for your feedback," leave it at that.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yeah, you have to write something. Otherwise he'll stew. When you explain why you are writing about the winners, he might not agree but you'll at least give him an understanding

11. dargan

dargan Active Member

Right on. That's how I usually handle the situation, and it's typically with e-mails with more venom than that one.

However, I guess you could always tell him that if you did write about all those other kids, the story would take up so much space that the 98 percent of readers who would rather set their houses on fire than read about high school cross country would be sending you mean e-mails.

12. RayKinsella

RayKinsella Member

If the parents have a form letter, shouldn't we as reporters have one by now. That way we can just copy and paste the same one to everyone. Who is up for the task?

Draft saved Draft deleted