1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

a rare whiff...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by shockey, Aug 20, 2007.

1. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Agreed, Shockey. And Selig did the same thing in baseball.

Maybe Goodell can handle two leagues at once.

2. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Bill Plaschke wrote a great column on the Leonard Little tragedy. Much has been written about it, but it never made mainstream like it should have.

3. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

I think the second DUI after the "tragic accident" should have cost Little any sympathy. I agree with those who have said it's too bad Goodell wasn't in charge at that time. Little should have suspended at least a year. I have no idea how he didn't serve real time.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Should have been thrown out of the league for life. The NFL doesn't need murderers on the field. And yeh yeh yeh, I know, he's "sorry" and "determined to turn his life around."

Tough shit. Sue Gutwiler is dead.

5. Here I thought I was the only one thinking along those lines!
    Vick did some bad stuff, but compared to Little Lennie, Christian Peter and even Lawrence Phillips this is small stuff. How about hockey players - like Rick Tocchet who is getting PROBATION for his part in a gambling ring? Or Danny Heatley? Didn't he kill a teammate while driving drunk?
    I know the PETA people will scream holy hell, but it is a just a dog -- not a human being. I love animals, cats and dogs, but their value pales against human life.
    I don't excuse Vick for his alleged actions, but I think some perspective is in order.

I think Vick is the victim of poor timing. Pro sports want to clean up their image. No brawls, no money storms in strip clubs, no drugs and no sex cruises.
    Thug life is out and Vick happens to the guy hung out in the shitstorm.
    Should he do jail time? Yes. Should he do more jail time than Little, or any of the athletes who IMO have committed worse crimes? No.

6. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

He needed a father to teach him that THAT was wrong?

7. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Incredible.

Why?

Because, as the Pittsburgh radio guy articulated.... a killed parent doesn't get the most-favored-cause status as a tortured dog in our society.

Fucking galling.

Goodell should suspend him retroactively.

8. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

I have NO sympathy for anyone blaming their upbringing on how they turn out. None. Especially in a case like this.

9. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

How about we just agree that Little should have done much longer time than Vick will do, rather than Vick doing less than whatever the mistaken penalty given to Little? Otherwise, you get into a bad Cooperstown argument of, if this guy is in, then that guy belongs. Waters it all down. Leonard Little still should be in stir. Vick deserves at least whatever Vick gets for his premeditated and ongoing dog killings.

10. I don't know Joe, I think Vick has been caught up in a witchhunt - by nearly everyone - to clean up pro sports. I think he'll get a lot more time than he deserves for his crimes because of it.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I agree. I think what he did was reprehensible but the outrage and the punishment seems severely out of whack with precedent.

I also wonder if Peyton Manning and some redneck buddies had done the same thing if the reaction would have been the same.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Has anyone here ever seen Vick's mom? She looks so much like him it's frightening...

Draft saved Draft deleted