1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A rant about the state of Morning Television

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Dec 19, 2019.

1. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

I remember in 1987, the Albany CBS affiliate got a morning show. It aired from 6:30 to 7. Because this was the days before crawls and other effects were common, snow days were ridiculous.

They’d spend the first part of the newscast reading off school closings. Then a commercial, followed by weather. Another commercial, followed by “recapping our top story” and repeating the closings, following by “one last check of the weather.”

Only news that day: it’s snowing.

2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Morning television is so impossibly bad right now, it's hard to put into words.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Early morning local shows, which now start at 4:30 a.m. (!) in the Boston market, have two prime sorts of information to deliver. 1. Weather, as this thread proves. 2. Traffic. Well, covid has made both of those sort of irrelevant for the past seven months. If mom and dad are working from home and the kids doing remote schooling, who cares what the weather and traffic is like. And TV is a habit. Get out of a habit for a few months, maybe you've lost it.

4. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Ah, the days of simultaneously watching the TV scroll and listening to radio waiting to hear if your two-hour delay was going to turn into a closing.

My school was in the A’s, so when the scroll was in the D’s it was going to be a long wait.

The radio station had an “eight minute guarantee.” Every eight minutes you’d get the closings.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Try. I always get a laugh out of it.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

KTLA was doind Dance Party Fridays 12 years ago. It's gotten worse?

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

CC648E23-BC83-4506-A9FC-F5A602F4B9A3.jpeg

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

When I get up and make breakfast in the morning, I have music playing. I can get weather and other important information on my phone, iPad or computer. Who needs TV?

Slacker and Mngwa like this.
  9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

We watch the local NBC station while having coffee and checking e-mail. Familiar voices are nice.

10. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

In all the years I anchored mornings...

We. Never. Did. Shit. Like. That.

I’m very proud of that.

When I see this, I wonder who here is equipped to handle flood coverage overnight, who could handle European terrorism of 2016/17 that happened overnight here in the U.S.

Dog8Cats likes this.
  11. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Can’t convince me lady on the right isn’t Anna Kendrick in a SNL newscast sketch.

MTM and sgreenwell like this.
  12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Come to think of it, the famous "Vietnam condom factory" got a lot of play on morning TV - "Hey, we're disgusted too - but it's TRENDING!!!!"

"Mom, what's a condom?"
    "Finish your cereal junior!"

Draft saved Draft deleted