1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A rant about the state of Morning Television

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Dec 19, 2019.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Fear casting sponsored by Bomb Shelters R US

2. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I also know my place in the cosmos here.

Very very few people actually sit and watch us in the morning. It’s on in the living room while they make breakfast, while they have the hair dryer going.

But it’s on.

A key to surviving in my business is to work in cold, old and boring markets. People watch. Cost of living is low and the stations pay well.

In my mid-40s, I’m the equivalent of a 57-year-old college football coach. My time to get a “big time” anchor job has passed. But I’ve carved out a decent little career doing this.

I’ll do 4-5 more years here, hopefully, and then head to a beach or a bigger, more exciting place. Likely an off-air role as I like the writing and the daily puzzle of putting together news. But for now it works great.

3. exmediahack

We don’t directly sponsor our weather and I’m pretty surprised by that. It’s fairly common everywhere else.

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

The Birmingham market is somewhat unique in the number of local news/sports anchors who have worked in the market for 20-30 years. In particular there are four females who are well past fifty, one of whom has gotten outright plump and gone sweet grandmotherly. I'm not sure why some blond pneumatic broadcast Barbies have not muscled them out, but I'm glad they're still here. It still feels very unusual to me, I don't expect that from the TV news business. Older men are more common, but as exmediahack said, even there it's far from the usual.

maumann likes this.
  5. exmediahack

BMA is one of the better news markets to work in as it pays well and you have at least two of the stations with decent ownership.

6. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

And it goes without saying, there is always plenty of news material.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

We now get automated messages on our cell phones.

I miss the days when I was a kid and we turned on the radio to hear the closings. Always made the mornings a little more special, except for the days that my school would stay open in a blizzard while every other school closed.

Fred siegle likes this.
  8. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Maybe upgrade the La-Z-Boy, too?

9. exmediahack

The goal is to have the Lay-Z-Boy facing a gulf or ocean view in a few years. However, I’ll wait to see which states have legalized sports betting by tben, preferably through an app.

Can’t make enough anchoring in Biloxi.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I'd lay there in bed, listening to the radio on my Walkman, until I heard our school district called out. Then I'd listen through one more round to confirm it. They usually went in alphabetical order once they started pouring in, so after they were done with the H's it was either get up and start cursing or drift back into blissful dreamy sleep. By the time I was in high school our school district had a cable channel they would post it on. Always checked it before bed and as soon as I got up on snowy days.
    One time we had a Nor'easter ripping through and I somehow missed the message. Got to school and no one was there except a janitor who told me school had been canceled for the day. My mom dropped me off and went to work, so I had to walk home five or six blocks in a howling rain storm.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

My district also inevitably call for a snow day because of weather predictions, then two flakes would hit the ground.

Nowadays, if our district has snow days remaining around March, they will call for a snow day on a Friday or Monday if three flakes hit the ground five states over.

Dog8Cats likes this.
  12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

At my last full-time gig in the business, the editor wanted someone to come in early to post which districts were going on foggy day schedules when the tule fog hit the Valley. All I could think was, folks are already going to TV and radio for that info.

maumann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted