1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A question/looking advice about applying to journalism jobs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Carlos Ganarial, Aug 28, 2018.

Tags:
  1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I don't think it was a newsroom-bigot take. Ten or 20 years ago, when a lot of us got into the business, taking a sports-only path was a helluva lot more viable than it is right now. The 20,000-circ paper where I started had an SE, four full-time sports staff and a heavily used stringer. Now it's got one guy. Multiply that times every paper in the country and ... you know. The point is just to have your eyes wide open.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

He asked, and I think the answer he got was the right one.

If you aren't in love with journalism, period, and your passion lies with the sports experience, sports information is the way to go. Much safer.

Hell, newspapers aren't even keeping stringers around anymore, let alone full-time employees.

For a long time, I looked at it your way. I have a job, there must be jobs out there. Well, you're fortunate (and for that, I'm happy for you). The landscape has changed.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
  3. Drip

Drip Active Member

If this is truly what you want to do, then go for it. If you make it, great. If you don't that's great too because you know that you gave it a shot. You won't grow old wondering what you could've done as a journalist. Good luck in your future endeavors.

Doc Holliday likes this.
  4. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Well said. This is good to know.

5. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

As far as I know, we all get one life. Better do whatever it is you really want because you're not getting a mulligan.

Drip likes this.
  6. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Write every day, and edit yesterday’s work every day. Check your facts, no matter how trivial. Check them thrice.

Treat every email, tweet and Facebook/message board post like it’s going to be in print.

Even if you end up selling insurance or fixing leaky pipes, professional-caliber writing is a fantastic asset.

7. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Here's some advice that's done well for me over the years: Don't tweet, except if you're promoting your work.

jr/shotglass likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted