1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A question for the princ...er, women, of sj.com

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MartinEnigmatica, Sep 4, 2007.

1. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

Why is it that girls seem more and more to wear tiaras when celebrating something remotely milestone-ish? Turning 21, 16, 18. Bat Mitzvahs and bachelorette parties. I really want to know the reasoning here. Is this more prominent today than in years past, or have I just lost my mind? Is it some kind of Princess Complex, just for a day?

I realize this paints me as an enormous sourpuss trying to rain on the parade of girls just wanting to have fun.

Not so. Have all the fun you want, gals. You could wear arm-length white gloves to go with the tiara. I just want to know why.

2. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Definitely a princess complex. Plus, I think sometimes on special occasions, we want to look like brides...elegant, pretty, blah blah blah... so we think the tiara helps, or for the younger women...look like school dance queens.

I wore a tiara to my wedding, but didn't wear it as a tiara. My hairstyle ended up looking even more like a princess because it was very European. So the whole time I was trying to be different and I still ended up with the princess complex.

But you can ask Doc. I've had that for a long time.

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Arm-length white gloves = sexy as hell.
    Tiaras = tacky on anyone over the age of six, unless it's halloween. Too much glitz: they should be looking at the woman, not the props.

Just my opinion.

4. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I'm going to wear a suit of armor and carry a jousting lance at my bachelor party.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I poked in on this one because I can imagine this turning in an amusing direction, but I feel a clarification is in order.

A Bat Mitzvah is not milestone-ish on a par with turning 18 or 21. It's an important religious and cultural event in a Jewish person's life, not something arbitrarily attached to a number. And when she gets there, my little one can wear whatever she pleases that day ... as long as it covers up as much skin as possible. :)

But I agree with 21. Not a big fan of the tiara look. Fine for my 4-year-old. On an adult? meh.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Yeah. But in the interest of full disclosure, this is because you strongly prefer the full-fledged crown with the big rubies and purple gem stones, right?

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Good idea. I should have taken a similar approach with mine.

Important lesson learned: NEVER let your brother plan your bachelor party. Never.

8. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Since I am a "so called" sociologist, we somewhat studied this. Women have this notion of fantasizing to be a "fairy tale princess". So if there is any special or formal event, women want to fufill this notion and that is why you see tiaras and gloves.

(btw, I did this for my prom....hey, I wanted the "fairy tale princess look" for an important night)

9. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Maybe it's a subtle attempt to seize societal power in the midst of a perceived oppressive male patriarchy.

Or maybe you're hanging out with the wrong girls.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You'd better put a sheath on that lance, Mister

11. 21

21 Well-Known Member

That is correct. Why stop at princess if you can be the queen? 8)

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted