1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A question for my fellow Canadians...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DGRollins, Aug 27, 2007.

1. DGRollins

DGRollins Member

I think we cover hockey way too much and we lose readers/listeners/viewers because of it. Hockey should be our biggest coverage area, but not our only one--sometimes it seems like that is the case.

2. Flash

Flash Guest

30 NHL teams = Too much hockey

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Pappy, I don't know what part of the country you live in, but here, in the Centre of the Hockey Universe, there's only the Leafs and 29 other teams that also play in the NHL.

The Toronto Sun will occasionally cover local junior hockey but the Star rarely does and will do it even less now that St. Mike's has moved to the burgs.

As my eldest said when he was 12, "Dad, there's no such thing as too much hockey".

Most people in Toronto don't have a clue about Junior B or C.

4. alanTdot

alanTdot Member

To be fair, there is also the every-four-years Olympic team.
    I think Toronto gets up for that team because we know we have a chance at winning the tournament.

The Cup playoffs? Not so much ... .

5. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Are you serious? If they win their first couple of exhibition games, they'll start planning the parade down Younge street.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Yonge Street

Hell, if team blue wins an intra-squad game, there'll be a parade.

Be nice, Beef. :)

7. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

It might not mean much, but I care.

8. alanTdot

alanTdot Member

... and so AlanTdot slinks out of the conversation, unable to muster a reply without invoking peals of laughter or creating fictional scenarios of Melvillian proportion ... .

9. DGRollins

DGRollins Member

For what it's worth...

Game 2 - Canada 3, Russia 0

What happens to interest in the final games if Canada clinches it early? You know, other then the self-fellating...

10. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Mr Rollins,

Peter: "To those of you across this great country of Canada ..."

Pierre: "Proof of Canadian character once again ..."

YHS, etc

11. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I pretty pleased with myself that I haven't watched a second of this tournament yet.

12. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Sorry, couldn't resist. I am surrounded by Roughrider fans and know way too many TML fans, and they both react the same way after winnign two games in a row.

Draft saved Draft deleted