1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A question for my fellow Canadians...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DGRollins, Aug 27, 2007.

1. alanTdot

alanTdot Member

I agree. This thing feels made up and cash grabby.

2. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Ms Flash, My Fellow Canadians,

I don't know how ticket sales are going. I suspect Hockey Canada picked the (all Western) sites figuring that the local teams will deliver the base (season-tickets types) in WHL venues. As for Winnipeg, that's the most supportive sports community around (witness '99's u-20s). Hockey Canada = Safety first. I don't know if it would half fill the ACC at Toronto-sized buck. Montreal, meme chose.

YHS, etc

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I think it would bomb in Toronto and Ottawa, especially at this time of year.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I'm sure all of Red Deer will show up.

5. Flash

Flash Guest

Without question ... last chance to see Mr. Sutter behind a junior bench ...

6. EE94

EE94 Guest

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Who was the other guy on the ice? Hawerchuk won the faceoff, Gretzky, Lemieux, Murphy and Bourque, maybe?

Hawerchuk was a guest at our team golf tourney one year and I did an interview with him for our website. I asked him about taking the faceoff and he said Keenan sent him out and took Messier off. He said Messier wasn't happy and the look on his face as they passed each other on the ice made it very clear he better not fuck it up.

8. DGRollins

DGRollins Member

The play was made when Lemieux (edited after I remembered that it was Lemieux that poked it, not Gretzky) poked the puck off the boards past the (stupidly) pinching Russian defenseman.

And, I agree that #99 made the right call on the pass to #66. However, in 9999 out of 1000 similar plays, with the players in the same position, Murphy gets the pass. He was in the better scoring position.

One more example of Gretzky's brilliance, really. How many players, under that pressure, have the wherewithal to recognize not only where the players were on the ice, but to also understand who they were and what abilities they brought.

Murphy, who was always under appreciated, deserves some praise for getting himself into the position he did though. I'm not sure Lemieux scores if it's a 2-on-1, rather than a 3-on-1. Well, maybe he does. Mario had some skills.

Gretzky once said that the '72 series started the great Canada/Russia hockey rivalry and the '87 Canada Cup ended it. Not a bad assessment.

For those that don't know what we are talking about:

The winning goal starts at 5:22

9. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Now I did fail math, but there is something wrong with your ratio.

10. DGRollins

DGRollins Member

10,000. Let's go with 10,000.

11. Flash

Flash Guest

Beef is nitpicky. :D

12. Canuck Pappy

Canuck Pappy Member

Here is a question for Canadians on this board.
    How much hockey is too much hockey?
    We have OHL, Junior B, Junior C that dominates the sports coverage August to April.
    The World Juniors is turning into the Canadian Super Bowl.
    We try to mix in some high school sports, curling and some others, but hockey dominates the coverage like 75-25. It used to be 85-15 until a couple years ago.
    We hear some complaints that we have too much hockey--but not a lot.
    At TSN on Sportscentre it's hockey for the first 24 minutes, Raptor highlights and then plays of the day.

Just curious what others think.

Draft saved Draft deleted