1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A question for my fellow Canadians...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DGRollins, Aug 27, 2007.

1. DGRollins

DGRollins Member

It's August. Why is there a damn hockey game on my TV?

And why do we care one bit about this damn hockey game?

Seriously?

ENOUGH.

(Sorry, I'm sick today and am in a pissy mode. Carry on.)

2. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Summit Series.....you obviously don't follow hockey

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

DG
    It's an 8 game junior tournament between Canada & Russia;s best U-20s, to commemorate the 35th anniversary of the Summit Series. Four games in Russia, then four back here.

You can also watch it at tsn.ca

4. DGRollins

DGRollins Member

Oh I know what it is. But what it is doesn't answer my question.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

DG,
    What's your question, again? :)

Usually when the Russians come over here for their annual cross Canada tourney, they don't bring their best.

This series will be a nice preview to the World Juniors in December.

Oh, and Brampton plays its first exhibition game this weekend. It's almost September. :)

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

The insufferable Loubardias and McGuire are doing this. That's enough to keep me from watching.

8. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Yup, that just killed it for me too.

9. DGRollins

DGRollins Member

Sigh...

I grew up with the game. Played it. Refereed it. And watched it a whole lot on my illegal satellite dish.

I'm too young to remember "Henderson score(ing) for Canada," but I'm just old enough to remember Mike Bossy potting an overtime winner and can not only remember Gretzky dropping the puck to Lemieux, but can also tell you what former Washington Capital/Toronto Maple Leaf/Detroit Red Wing defenseman was the third player on the 3-on-1 (and, who by all rights, should have got the pass).

Sitting beside my grandfather watching the Belleville Bulls was my childhood.

I know hockey.

But, I'm getting sick of it. In late August, I'd rather watch something else and I'm not sure I'm alone. To bring this rant back to journalism, how many Canadians actually care about this manufactured event? Why is it getting the amount of coverage that it is?

ANYWAY, I'm fighting a losing battle, I appreciate.

10. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

11. DGRollins

DGRollins Member

12. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Actually just read a book about eight goals that changed hockey or some other such nonsense. That was one of them.

Draft saved Draft deleted