1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A question for cat owners

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pencil Dick, Apr 7, 2008.

1. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

PD, condolences to you and your family. Some people underestimate the love that is shared between a family and a pet.

I hope you guys heal quickly and get a new, bright-eyed kitten to fill a little of the void.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Sorry for your loss. I have a 14-year-old cat, and I'm dreading the day he leaves us. I've lost several cats in my life, and it's never an easy thing to deal with.

3. patchs

patchs Active Member

I am very sorry for your loss.
    I'm looking at my cats right now and am thankful for the joy they bring us.
    RIP Stimpy.

4. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

PD, let me echo the condolences about your loss.

In the last month, we lost two of our four cats: sisters from the crew of feral cats we had in the backyard of our old house. One had cancer and had to be put to sleep, the other somehow got out and despite my wife putting 200 miles on her car and making daily trips to the shelter, we couldn't find her.

That one hurt, not only because she was closest to me, but because she probably got out on Easter Sunday because I left the front door partially open while putting my luggage in the car for a trip. I was watching the door and didn't see her get out, but then again, it was 5 a.m. and dark.

If you can, PD, do what we did. Head to the shelter and adopt a kitten. We brought two home yesterday afternoon.

5. snuffy2

snuffy2 Member

Having read your words PD, I can imagine that M Coon lived a happy family life and was in caring final hands.

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

The codas are kinda broken up about your coon cat. They're keeping good thoughts.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Condolences, PD. Kudos for the cremation and letting your daughter deal with it as she wants to. Rest easy in knowing you cared for that cat in the best way possible, and he's not in any more pain.

8. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

Thanks again to eveyone for their kind words and condolences.

I showed the responses to Mrs. PD, who's still having a difficult time grasping that the old fella's no longer with us (but still is not looking forward to his remains being in the house).

She, too, sends along her thanks.

9. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

I can't recommend cremation highly enough. Mrs. T's 20-year-old tabby now resides in a box up on our bedroom TV, with a picture of her under the tree at her last Christmas (we originally put Scruffy's favorite catnip toy on top of it, but the surviving kitties kept knocking it off).
    Stimpy's successor will come soon enough - you'll know when. I wanted to wait a little while, but Mrs. T was game for a trip to the shelter five days later, and this little white female stray with one green eye and one blue eye that had been picked up the day Scruffy departed literally reached out of the cage and grabbed at us. We went to another shelter, but an hour later, we went back and took the little girl who chose us. Six years later (she's now 7 1/2 to 10 years old, as estimated by the shelter folks), she delights us as much as Scruffy did.
    This hits me a bit because I have the suspicion I'll soon be going through this with my golden retriever - he'll be 10 in July, but the hitch in his giddyup is getting pretty bad. When he stops trying to get at the husky across the street, I'll know it's time for him to go.

10. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

My condolences on your loss, Pencil Dick.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

My 14-year-old can no longer climb her cat trees. But she can still steal my computer chair. I do not even bribe her with treats to get down anymore. Just bring another chair in the room. And give her the treats anyway.

But that tumor is growing mighty big. Sad day is coming soon.

Draft saved Draft deleted