1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A question for Canuckistanis - Who does Canada root for in the NFL?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Nov 17, 2009.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Oh, so now you're hedging your bet.

But since I'm what, 2-0 on Super Burger bets, you're on.

And hey, if the Stamps beat the Riders on Sunday, we can still meet--weather permitting, of course

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

Okay, I won't hedge my bet.

The Saskatchewan Roughriders will win the Grey Cup. Period. :)

3. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Geez, I hope the Stamps win just to shut all the Rider fans up. Also because I'd never hear the end of it, since I've had Grey Cup tickets since before the season started.

Anybody else going to Calgary the weekend of the 29th? I'm planning my debauchery now.

4. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I am still debating on whether or not to fork out for Grey Cup tickets. I have a few opportunities for face value tickets but not sure whether I want to for $ 500 for a pair.

If the Stamps win and shut up "Rider Nation" I may have to take the plunge. Rider fans are becoming insufferable douches.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

Present company excluded? ;)

To be completely honest, I wouldn't consider myself part of "Rider Nation." I support them from afar, have never seen them in person and don't plan to be in Calgary for the Grey Cup or in Regina for the parade. :D

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

You're on. You can buy me that burger on Nov 28th. :)

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

;D

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

There are a number of people who work in our Edmonton office who are Esks season ticket holders. They uniformly detest Riders fans.

As one woman said, "Edmonton & Calgary fans hate each other but when the game's on, we mostly ignore each other. When the hicks from Saskatchewan show up, they're drunk 24/7, travel in packs and will pick a fight with your grandmother".

9. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

A good friend who hated the CFL growing up and thru his twenties and early thirties all of a sudden embraced the Riders and references that he is wearing his "game worn Riders jersey" when we talk football. This new breed of douche seems to think they are the equivalent of the Cheeseheads to the south.

He could at least have the decency to root for the Bombers as he still lives in Wpg. I pull for the Stamps because I live in Calgary and extolling the benefits of all things Albertan grates on his nerves (maybe I am the douche!!)

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

Fun fact - in 1966 and in 1976, the Rough Riders and the Roughriders faced each other in Grey Cup.

The Roughriders (Saskatchewan) won it in 1966, their first national championship. In '76, the Rough Riders (Ottawa) won it for the ninth and final time.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

That was like when the Huskies (Saskatchewan) played the Huskies (St. Mary's) in the Vanier Cup. Forgot the year.

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

Yeah, but does he do like Super Dave Osborne and wear safety gear made only with "genuine Saskatchewan seal-skin bindings"? ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted